Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple full tank shots.

As one can see, the coraline in the tank has exploded in growth. The credit card just isn't cutting it now. Any ideas besides razor blading it off?
And in the last tank shot, you can see the marine beta right after it shot out of the rocks and puffed up to intimidate me.

Hank ,..Oh that credit card will still work on the coraline algae ,. You just gotta stop using it as a scraper and use it to buy yourself a real scraper ,... :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've got an acrylic tank so I'm using a long handled Kent scraper on 90 % of what's on the main viewing window and the tunze magnetic scraper on the sections that I can't reach otherwise ,... I Buy extra plastic blades for each unit cuz they wear out way too quickly :-(

Yep a fresh razor blade and you're golden .... Acrylic is a lot more of a hassle with the plastic blades :-(

I had them on my list when I was in town last week but came back with a fish instead...always works like that. Maybe I have some in my old utility knife for weekend cleaning.

I had them on my list when I was in town last week but came back with a fish instead...always works like that. Maybe I have some in my old utility knife for weekend cleaning.

Make sure they are new and don't have any surface rust or flaws. A good ol' scratch across front and center of the tank will drive you nuts! I had them in my last tank. I prefer the rectangular single edge blades for this. They have that little fold on the opposite side to hold onto. They are cheap too. You can actually get a handle for them as well in the painting sections used to scrape paint off of windows and what not. If you can find an ALL plastic one, then its a score. The ones with metal parts rust in a couple days.

Yep a fresh razor blade and you're golden .... Acrylic is a lot more of a hassle with the plastic blades :-(

I just use my fingernail, but I only have small spots for now.....LOL

Sniper, how is the ATS working out?

are you running it on an opposite photo-period than the display?
I Imagine the same principles that apply to a refugium apply to an ATS so
I'm curious to see if it makes any impact on ph over the day/night cycle.

It's working really well. Already seeing algae growth. I'm going to scrape later today I hope. I run it opposite for the most part. The one light doesn't have a timer so it's been going all the time since I forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So, has it been a week since I've had both lights on this guy? First light scraping, as you need to do it weekly. Only change I want to make, either widen the slit or figure a way to block light from there as algae can restrict flow, and already has.

I read in another thread that you got a Tomini....congrats! Do you have any pictures of the little guy? They're my favorite type of "smaller" Tang. (y)

Besides a snapshot from the FTS, that's all that will happen. They are shy and it certainly is. Can watch it out grazing through the side of the tank until someone walks into 'the zone' around the front of the tank and it gently swims into one of the large caves I have build into the tank. First feeding it totally missed because I fed from the front. The last one I did was from the side and it ate like a pig. I went back and forth about it for a long, long time until it had to be in the tank. Things livened up with the addition and there hasn't been any noticeable aggression, which is great. It shares a home with the marine betta, which is cool. I go to the front of the tank, the tang hides, then the beta shoots out and tries to intimidate me into leaving.

I'm happy to hear all is well aggression wise, that's always a relief (and that he is eating like a pig! :) )

That is cool that he is sharing a home with the Betta, from what I recall they tend to be fairly reclusive too.

Well, tomorrow is a trip to Pittsburgh for the gear up for the marathon. No, don't worry, I don't run it. While the wife is competing I'm planning on spending my time over in Aqua-World. Seems they are the bee's knees and pretty close to where I'll be. Hopefully can pick up a nice coral that I'd have trouble finding elsewhere. I've sat here and watched the pictures of their tanks scroll by on their website picking out the fish and coral in their tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom