Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been following for a little bit and have a few questions.
What kind of algae do you have?
What is the ATS and what does it do?

I don't know how hydrogen peroxide effects anemones ot acro (coral type??) but using a baby eye dropper for treating the rock in the tank might work.
Sorry if this has already been suggested/done but I haven't seen it since I started following.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The main plague is cotton candy algae. Its roots get deep in the rock where pulling it out doesn't work and it needs very little nitrate/phosphate to thrive.
H202 will kill what it touches...basically. It'll kill corals that aren't soft coral and then it is very stressful.
An algae turf scrubber is lights pointed at a screen that has been roughed up to encourage algae to grow there.

The main plague is cotton candy algae. Its roots get deep in the rock where pulling it out doesn't work and it needs very little nitrate/phosphate to thrive.
H202 will kill what it touches...basically. It'll kill corals that aren't soft coral and then it is very stressful.
An algae turf scrubber is lights pointed at a screen that has been roughed up to encourage algae to grow there.

Sorry to hear about that.
Didn't know with the H202 but thought spot treating would be better than removing rock.
Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The issue was James. I got ahead of myself with the ATS and increased feeding again. It caused this junk to spread. But as it spreads it overruns things, like frags.
The rock could be leaching out some phosphate, but I don't think it matters one way or another since this stuff will grow in basically clean water.

No that's what I mean it's the algae haha. Even if you were able to take away all nutrients it's hard to starve this one off, and once it's in the rock it's a pain. Good luck man... Turbos help

Yeah, It is just time to fight the battle. It is either now or wait til buy a new house to upgrade...who knows where it could be by then.
I'm going to try to get my hands on some turbos one way or another...if I have to order them I will.
I think that when it is time to upgrade if it hasn't improved even with the extreme level of management thrown at the issue at hand I'll bleach the rocks and be done with it...will just have to move a couple of corals and the RBTA. Not that big of a deal in an upgrade compared to a pull out and manage.

Many mexican turbos coming my way on Tuesday. Here's hoping they do the job like I'm reading about. Also have a maxima clam coming my way...going to give my love of these guys another go.

Many mexican turbos coming my way on Tuesday. Here's hoping they do the job like I'm reading about. Also have a maxima clam coming my way...going to give my love of these guys another go.

I've got a few of the mex turbos , ( I only live about 10 miles from the mex border :) they really get after things right away ,you'll love em

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Very cool! Can't wait to see that clam! Hope everything works out in your favor.

It should. Before work today I was thinking about already seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. Dosing the nitrate/phosphate has been increasing skimming, as the bacteria dies off to daily skim, and the growth has slowed as I've returned to normal feeding.

Just a quick update before I start the water change for the week that there are great signs of improvement. On the left side of the tank, where there was massive algae growth but not cotton candy type, there are signs of die off and can see rock in places where I was not removing algae at all. One step at a time.

Lots of snails in. Have a green bubble coral and a maxima clam to go with them. Content so far, though when coming home early from work to find the lawnmower blenny on the sandbed. Been wondering when that was going to occur for some time as its belly was never as full as it used to. Always ate, even last night. I really think that this is something that just happens to these guys, as it isn't the first time I've seen or heard of it happening.

Lots of snails in. Have a green bubble coral and a maxima clam to go with them. Content so far, though when coming home early from work to find the lawnmower blenny on the sandbed. Been wondering when that was going to occur for some time as its belly was never as full as it used to. Always ate, even last night. I really think that this is something that just happens to these guys, as it isn't the first time I've seen or heard of it happening.

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully those snails help clear that stuff up for you. They are usually pretty hard workers. I'm looking forward to seeing that clam!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom