So call me crazy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigTruck6o2

Aquarium Advice Regular
So im contemplating reworking my tank a little bit, right now i have a 125 gallon tank with dual overflows on it. I thought it would be kinda neat to start over with some things if its worth it.

I got my tank on ebay about a year and a half ago and sorta just jumped into the hobby because it was interesting, the previous owner had it set up a little different then id like to have. So i was planning on re-doing some things in my tank here is a list.

1. Redo the PVC work because it looks horrible under the stand and is using alot of my room with unnecessary 90* turns, since there is an easier route id like to take that.

2. Get a new pump, i dont know what brand pump i have now but it is real noisy and would like to get something new and reliable that is quiet, any suggestions?

3. Add a refugium somehow to my tank, i have a sump but from how it is set up it doesnt seem like adding one in my sump would be possible, so i would get a seperate tank and have one my sump, one my refugium

4. Change how my sump is set up, it doesnt have alot of baffels or anything so im getting alot of bubbles that are making its way back into the return. Also it is filled with bio-balls, from reading on this forum it seems the bio-balls are a debatable subject and im choosing to get rid of them and replace it w/ liverock rubble which will also get rid of my filter pads that are sitting in there.

5. Change out the Crushed Coral substrate to live sand, ive never liked the crushed coral but it is what i got w/ the tank so i used it.

Now currently the tank is stocked, with 2 tangs, a clown fish, and about 5 chromis and some polyps/zoos/cup coral/ and an anenome but my brother has a 125G tank running in the basement next to mine which has just some live rock in it. So my thoughts were to take my stuff, place it in his tank while i do what i gotta do to my tank. Any ideas/comments on my plan, think its worth it or not worth it... any help is appreciated TIA

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST.

Maybe we're all crazy and you're the most sane individual in this forum.

Maybe this idea of yours is so crazy that it just might work.

Maybe...

What was the question?...

J/k 'bro'..
sounds like you are on the right road to the perfect setup honestly..
Keep it up :D

Wasnt really a question, was more or less just looking for some feedback on my idea and if it was worth it to tear it down and rebuild it to how i want it, or just keep what works.

As far as the fuge goes mine is a completely separate tank. It is plumbed to my sump with bulkheads and 2" PVC.

Ok, sorry..
When I said it sounds like you are on the right road, I meant, yes, your question(d) points seems to contain the consensus type 'right' answers.
Elbows reduce flow,
Noisy pumps suck (hah..puns rock...Mag pumps seem quiet and do good version of suckage),
Even a 10g can be a fuge, just needs sand and macros and pods and light and flow to and fro (from what I read),
Bio-balls are fine with regular tank maint - live rubble is the choice of the sperts around here..and will definatly be a good choice and prolly have good benefit,

CC is a factory for bad stuffs...so they say...sand looks hella better tho, go with it and let the lil goomers (pods) run rampant in it...

Heck, I even have fan worms growin outta my sand...
it's a trip..
gl and gods-speed..

This is how my current sump is set up, if i was to put a tank (whatever size will fit in the opening i have. i want to go as big as possible) directly to the left in the open space of my stand, how would i plumb that to work for a refugium.

The plumbing seems to be the only thing that i really dont know how to do, hope this masterpiece i made helps :D

Attachments

• stand_setup.jpg
    stand_setup.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 284
looks like a nuclear reactor!!

(know more bout nuke chambers then fuges, sry...heh...oh n btw yur crazy ;) )

ok ok ok...from what I've read bout a 'fuge' the thing wouldn't have 'man-made' filtration...course, I'm no expert...just learning and tossing peanuts from the peanut gallery so to speak...

drawing looks to be a sump/fuge combo...
sorta?

So i decided im going to make my own refugium/sump set up, I was going to use just a standard 55 gallon tank and insert baffles and such to create what i need but my stand only allows me 23" of space from top to bottom. With a standard 55 gallon tank being 20" that only leaves me 3" of space which i dont think is enough. So i think im going to try building my own custom tank with acrylic and see if i can get it to do what i need. I think i want to have it hold about 55 gallons.

This is what im planning on doing, im going to custom make it. Any thoughts on it, will it work, anything need to be changed?

Attachments

• new_plan_2.jpg
    new_plan_2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 29
BigTruck6o2 said:
So im contemplating reworking my tank a little bit, right now i have a 125 gallon tank with dual overflows on it. I thought it would be kinda neat to start over with some things if its worth it.

I got my tank on ebay about a year and a half ago and sorta just jumped into the hobby because it was interesting, the previous owner had it set up a little different then id like to have. So i was planning on re-doing some things in my tank here is a list.

1. Redo the PVC work because it looks horrible under the stand and is using alot of my room with unnecessary 90* turns, since there is an easier route id like to take that. Just make sure to leave some places for maint. That is some unions or what not so you can easily disconnect if needed.

2. Get a new pump, i dont know what brand pump i have now but it is real noisy and would like to get something new and reliable that is quiet, any suggestions? http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=DN1131

3. Add a refugium somehow to my tank, i have a sump but from how it is set up it doesnt seem like adding one in my sump would be possible, so i would get a seperate tank and have one my sump, one my refugium http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CR1911

4. Change how my sump is set up, it doesnt have alot of baffels or anything so im getting alot of bubbles that are making its way back into the return. Also it is filled with bio-balls, from reading on this forum it seems the bio-balls are a debatable subject and im choosing to get rid of them and replace it w/ liverock rubble which will also get rid of my filter pads that are sitting in there. Not an issue if you replace it with a fuge..

5. Change out the Crushed Coral substrate to live sand, ive never liked the crushed coral but it is what i got w/ the tank so i used it. Sounds good..

Now currently the tank is stocked, with 2 tangs, a clown fish, and about 5 chromis and some polyps/zoos/cup coral/ and an anenome but my brother has a 125G tank running in the basement next to mine which has just some live rock in it. So my thoughts were to take my stuff, place it in his tank while i do what i gotta do to my tank. Any ideas/comments on my plan, think its worth it or not worth it... any help is appreciated TIA

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST.

I used that design i posted a little bit ago. I ordered a Quiet One 6000 Submersible pump that will sit in my return area. I also ordered a Maxi1200 to run my protien skimmer, on my current setup im running it off my main pump but want to change that. A friend of my dads makes neon signs and stuff and has a hookup for acrylic i guess so i gave him a list of the size pieces i need and hope to get that soon and begin making the sump/refigium. Ill be sure to take pictures and all that and post after its completed. FYI when i was looking for the main pump i was looking at marine depot and drfostersmith, drfostersmith had the pump for about $60 less just incase anyone was looking for a pump.

Back
Top Bottom