Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-25-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
So i decided im going to make my own refugium/sump set up, I was going to use just a standard 55 gallon tank and insert baffles and such to create what i need but my stand only allows me 23" of space from top to bottom. With a standard 55 gallon tank being 20" that only leaves me 3" of space which i dont think is enough. So i think im going to try building my own custom tank with acrylic and see if i can get it to do what i need. I think i want to have it hold about 55 gallons.

BigTruck6o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
This is what im planning on doing, im going to custom make it. Any thoughts on it, will it work, anything need to be changed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new_plan_2.jpg (48.1 KB, 27 views)

Old 01-26-2006, 02:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thats just crazy!!! LOL just kidding. Sounds like you got a plan now get to work.
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Re: So call me crazy!

Originally Posted by BigTruck6o2
So im contemplating reworking my tank a little bit, right now i have a 125 gallon tank with dual overflows on it. I thought it would be kinda neat to start over with some things if its worth it.

I got my tank on ebay about a year and a half ago and sorta just jumped into the hobby because it was interesting, the previous owner had it set up a little different then id like to have. So i was planning on re-doing some things in my tank here is a list.

1. Redo the PVC work because it looks horrible under the stand and is using alot of my room with unnecessary 90* turns, since there is an easier route id like to take that. Just make sure to leave some places for maint. That is some unions or what not so you can easily disconnect if needed.

2. Get a new pump, i dont know what brand pump i have now but it is real noisy and would like to get something new and reliable that is quiet, any suggestions? http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=DN1131

3. Add a refugium somehow to my tank, i have a sump but from how it is set up it doesnt seem like adding one in my sump would be possible, so i would get a seperate tank and have one my sump, one my refugium http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CR1911

4. Change how my sump is set up, it doesnt have alot of baffels or anything so im getting alot of bubbles that are making its way back into the return. Also it is filled with bio-balls, from reading on this forum it seems the bio-balls are a debatable subject and im choosing to get rid of them and replace it w/ liverock rubble which will also get rid of my filter pads that are sitting in there. Not an issue if you replace it with a fuge..

5. Change out the Crushed Coral substrate to live sand, ive never liked the crushed coral but it is what i got w/ the tank so i used it. Sounds good..

Now currently the tank is stocked, with 2 tangs, a clown fish, and about 5 chromis and some polyps/zoos/cup coral/ and an anenome but my brother has a 125G tank running in the basement next to mine which has just some live rock in it. So my thoughts were to take my stuff, place it in his tank while i do what i gotta do to my tank. Any ideas/comments on my plan, think its worth it or not worth it... any help is appreciated TIA

To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
I used that design i posted a little bit ago. I ordered a Quiet One 6000 Submersible pump that will sit in my return area. I also ordered a Maxi1200 to run my protien skimmer, on my current setup im running it off my main pump but want to change that. A friend of my dads makes neon signs and stuff and has a hookup for acrylic i guess so i gave him a list of the size pieces i need and hope to get that soon and begin making the sump/refigium. Ill be sure to take pictures and all that and post after its completed. FYI when i was looking for the main pump i was looking at marine depot and drfostersmith, drfostersmith had the pump for about $60 less just incase anyone was looking for a pump.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com