SO CONFUSED!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dinotrex

Aquarium Advice Regular
i've been trying to cycle my tank for about 4 weeks now, my ammonia is at 0 and nitrite is at <0.3. Nitrate is still a little high, a little below 12.5. I've been reading all these other posts and seeing now that I cannister filter or that I don't have enough live rock. I've also read in the past the the 4 most importatnt things are the PH, Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia levels. The guy at the lsf is now selling me stuff for salinity and gravity in my water!?!?!?!? and he's also telling me that I need a power compact!!! So I bought a hydrometer and my water is way high with saline and gravity, what do I do now?? why wasn't I told how important these things were before I started my tank?? I mean, is a power compact REALLY that important? I'm not trying to grow corals or anything yet. JUST FISH AND LIVEROCK. THATS ALL!!! whats important? what do I need? I have a 55 gallon tank I filled with saltwater I bought from the lfs, ls, a protein skimmer, a powerhead and a heater. As the water evaporates, I've been replacing it with RO water to try and even out the saline, gravity and to try and get the Nirates down to a better level.

First...slow down and breathe a little :wink: I know it can be confusing, but it sounds like your own track..

1st...power compacts are for corals. If you just want fish and LR, normal output (N/O) lights will work just fine.

2nd...whats important....

Salinity..or specific gravity. They both measure the same thing, just in different ways. Its like feet and meters. Salinity and SG are both telling you how much salt is in the water. SG meters are more accurate. Obviously since you are keeping saltwater fish..measuring the salt would be important.

Water parameters. You should have a test kit for all of the basic 4. Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, and phosphates. Ammonia and trites are both toxic. After the cycle (wich can last 6-8weeks) they should read zero and stay there. Nitrates are bad, but not nessisarily toxic. Trates will cause problems with algae. The way to get them down range from simple water changes, DSB, Caulerpa or macro algae..there are even some sponges out that will bring them down.

If your still cycling, you should be focuse on keeping the salinity in range...and doing water changes when the parameters get too high. Keep the water circulating and keep it heated. You will be fine.

Squishy

Back
Top Bottom