Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-19-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
So far so good! What next???

This is what I have to date with my 30 gallon tank.

1 - skilter 400( filter & protein skimmer in one )
1 - hagen 301 powerhead
1 - aqua-tech powerhead (175 gph )
1 - heater
1 - 20 watt aurora 50/50
1 - 20 watt atinic
1 - 30 watt coral life
1 - 30 watt power glo

My inhabitants are;
2 - baby common clowns
1 - scarlet cleaner shrimp
2 - turbo snails
4 - astraea snails
6 - zebra legged hermit crabs
2 - blue legged hermit crabs
1 - red legged hermit crab

And all seem to be doing very well.

I will be aquiring a few soft corals in the next few days. I am very fortunate to have a friend who has too much for his tank and is giving them to me.

Does what I have sound ok. Any suggestions willbe greatly appreciated.

I am inclined to believe that those who do not have a love of pets, are those whom I would prefer not to associate with.
chickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
All sounds good but IMO I would kick that skilter to the curb. In a small system like that you really don't need a skimmer as long as you keep up with regular water changes.

Edmonton Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #3
Looks good to me,

Skilters I have heard CAN produce more skim than $200 models (I know someone in this case to be true, he has a Prizm that doesnt produce as much)

I just couldnt stand the NOISE to see if it would skim, so now I have a Whisper.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
I had a skilter once, and it does make more noise. I also have a prizm in my 32 hex and it works great. Keep the skilter, but you could increase it's efficiency by dropping a limestone down the center of the tube and running air in it to make more bubbles. I used this trick for my skilter many, many, many years ago in my 55 gallon tank. The extra bubbles help it skim.
Mike Jones
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:15 AM   #5
You can do that but it does fix the noise!

I think they are A-OK for regular filters, as they have a large filter pad in them.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com