So I decided to start a Saltwater Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Narrator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, Today I took the Plunge. After a few weeks of reading I wanted to start a FOWLR 26 gallon setup. I started a freshwater setup first, but I relocated my mollies and decided to go all in.

Here is the result so far. Any Input would be appreciated. My stocking plans are 2 clowns and a few cleaners.. those are to be decided. Let me know what you think.

Here is the tank. For some reason the app won't let me add it to my original post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1393608887294.jpg
    1393608887294.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 188
I'm in the process of starting a SW tank and I'm going all in. What did u read or watch to get your info??

Thanks @Bribo12 I have some extra Dry rock I didn't add because of space. If I add the dry rock it will become live over time correct? I don't plan on stocking for at least a month or two so If its possible Ill add the rest of the dry and wait it out. What do you think?

I'm in the process of starting a SW tank and I'm going all in. What did u read or watch to get your info??
Most of my info was gathered from here in the forums. I have spoken with a local guy how has some experience. He was the one who took me to the LFS today to get some of my items. The main thing I wasn't sure about was the amount of Live/Dry rock he advised me to get. I got 30lbs of rock total but a mix of live and dry. He said the live would seed the dry over the course of the cycle period.

Thanks @Bribo12 I have some extra Dry rock I didn't add because of space. If I add the dry rock it will become live over time correct? I don't plan on stocking for at least a month or two so If its possible Ill add the rest of the dry and wait it out. What do you think?

Yes your dry will become live over time, I would add it now though to give your bb as much surface area as possible to colonize

I will add more live rock. I also plan on throwing in a frozen shrimp tonight after work. Need to figure out a background too. might just go straight black.

Question- With such a small tank what should I use for Filtration? I know to some extent the live rock will take care of some of that. But I keep hearing tell of Skimmers and Sumps, Not sure that I have room for either. I purchased a 700GPM powerhead and the tank already has a quiet-flow 50 on it.. Didn't plan on using that but it was what came with the tank. I have nothing against buying a larger filter but Space might be an issue for the time being. I keep hearing such conflicting info regarding filtration so I would love to hear from you guys.

My stock plans are to have maybe 2 clowns and some inverts for clean up.. maybe another fish, but I wanted to keep the load light for my first tank. so just the live rock, fish and verts for now.

UPDATE: I put 1/2 TBSP of pure ammonia in the tank to get the cycle to started last night before bed. During this should I also be running the HOB filter that I have?

Skimmers aren't required on a tank this small but they are nice to have. If your looking for the easiest way(least amount of equipment) just go with LR and a hob filter to run some chemical media ( aqua clear 70's or 110's are best IMO ) and flow ( the power head). This and weekly wc's are all you really need

Thanks for the Info @BigRedsReefs10, I though maybe my HOB filter might be a tad small so I will be upgrading it. Trying my best not to overwhelm myself but there is tons of great info here and the people are really knowledgeable, as well as helpful.

When you say "Run some Chemical Media" What are you referring to?

Chemical media is like carbon or phosphate reducer. And while your cycling you can run the filter ,but take out the media. This is the one time when you want ammonia and nitrite in your system

Thanks so much. I did turn the filter on but I didn't remove the media.. but I will when I get home. My test kit was supposed to arrive today but it didnt.. Is it possible to overload with live rock? Say for instance I put 60-70 lbs in my 26 gallon, would I run into any issues..

There is a point where it becomes to much. You want water to be able to flow through all of the LR and with 60-70 lbs would make that difficult I imagine. I typically go with about 1.3 lbs per gal of nice porus rock. For a 26 bf I would say shoot for 20-40 lbs, and if you can get more porus pieces than big solid rocks

Thanks for all the help. Sadly my test kit did not arrive today.. so I really have no idea what's going on in there. Picking up more live rock tomorrow, instead of seeding the dry rock I already have. I can't wait until I get fish but I don't want to harm them either so I am happy to wait.

I went and purchased more live rock today. So I have about 30 lbs so far. Let know what you guys think.

Attachments

• 1393806146727.jpg
    1393806146727.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 154
Wanted to see if someone could chime in, Is the current arrangement of the live rock OK?
I jostled them around a bit and nothing moved so I'm sure they wont fall. But water flow is my main concern. I'm sure you can see the placement of my powerhead. Will that be OK. Also will a 700GPH be enough or too much.

It looks fine. I'd get another smaller powerhead for the other side so you can randomize the flow more. In my 20 gallon I have about 950-1000 gph of flow depending on my mp10 setting

Hello all.. Today I noticed something on a few of my live rocks. I'm not sure what it is. To me it looks like some sort of clear Algae, it makes the rock look like it has a clear aura..lol. Just a little concerned. Anyone know what this might be.. it only comes off the rock maybe a few millimeters.

Back
Top Bottom