Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2004, 09:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I got my pickling lime (Kalkwasser), now what's next??

I got my pickling lime (Kalk), now what do I do?

Give me the whole deal
Mixing, how to use, etc.

TIA,
JOSH

Old 04-29-2004, 09:59 PM   #2
steve-s

>>What is Kalkwasser? and how do I dose it?<< ...That should cover most of it

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-29-2004, 10:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

What if I don't (yet) have a sump? Right now I am topping off with RO water every day with a watering can. Could I make Kalk and just add it that way?

As it stands, I'm trying to bump my Ca up so it's balanced properly with my Alk. Then I will use C-Balance.
Fluval 304
CPR BakPak skimmer w/ preskimmer
Aquaclear 201 and 301 powerheads
Tronic 100W heater
2 20W NO lights
5-stage RO filter

Snail crew, Peppermint Shrimp, 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Percula Clown, Watchman Goby
flynnternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 11:03 AM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnternet
What if I don't (yet) have a sump? Right now I am topping off with RO water every day with a watering can. Could I make Kalk and just add it that way?
Kalk does not need to be dripped into the sump only. I use a 4 lt milk jug and sit it on top of the tank light hood. I use an aquadosing tube from Kent Marine and let it drip at about 2-3 drops/sec after lights out. Make sure the container used is an inert plastic, preferabley disposable. What is the watering can made from?

Quote:
As it stands, I'm trying to bump my Ca up so it's balanced properly with my Alk. Then I will use C-Balance.
Kalkwasser is a balanced additive and will not raise just one part of the equation, it willl raise both. If just needing to up the Ca, use a dry or liquid form of CaCl to bolster the level and then use the kalk to maintain it. C-balance and kalk do basically the same thing except kalk is a one step additive.

What are your numbers right now?

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-30-2004, 11:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Watering can is plastic. Not positive it's inert to be honest. Not sure how to tell.

My Alk is at about 9dKH and my Ca is at about 370ppm (last time I checked which was two days ago). I have been using Kent Turbo, mixing about 2 teaspoons in with my top off water per day (I added my cleaner crew and two shrimps yesterday , so I didn;t add the Ca. Didn't want to change the params while they were acclimating in the tank after the 2.5 hour drip). Ca has risen maybe 10ppm per day. I am trying to get into the "red zone" in that great chart. I already have C-balance, and will use that once I've gotten into the red zone.
Fluval 304
CPR BakPak skimmer w/ preskimmer
Aquaclear 201 and 301 powerheads
Tronic 100W heater
2 20W NO lights
5-stage RO filter

Snail crew, Peppermint Shrimp, 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Percula Clown, Watchman Goby
flynnternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 06:28 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnternet
Watering can is plastic. Not positive it's inert to be honest. Not sure how to tell.
Most plastics are, just be careful of ones that are used for any type of storage/disposal. Some can be coated with antifungal/mold products. If it's a food container, you will be fine.

Quote:
My Alk is at about 9dKH and my Ca is at about 370ppm (last time I checked which was two days ago). I have been using Kent Turbo, mixing about 2 teaspoons in with my top off water per day (I added my cleaner crew and two shrimps yesterday , so I didn;t add the Ca. Didn't want to change the params while they were acclimating in the tank after the 2.5 hour drip). Ca has risen maybe 10ppm per day. I am trying to get into the "red zone" in that great chart. I already have C-balance, and will use that once I've gotten into the red zone.
You still have a bit to go on the Ca (420ish ppm) just remeber to keep the alk in line at the same time. The 10 ppm daily creep is a good goal and should not create any new problems. Just don't beat yourself up trying for exact numbers. Just being in the right "ranges" will serve the same purpose.

Once you get using the C-Balance, make sure you test daily to check the affectes. When my LFS was out of the Kent I used that and needed twice a much to do the same thing.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com