So, i have my first fishes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, after two days of water tests and getting cycled results, introduceing my three hermits who did fine over those two days (But then decided to eat theirselves as they molted. My luck. I have one left.) I went to get my fishes.

As far as SW fish go, here i have a mixed bag as far as i have been able to tell. I have petco, whom while a good store, are infamous for the dead fish tank. Also, petco has only eight or so small SW tanks, and being a big chain, those tanks are typically filled with the big sellers (clowns, yellow tangs, etc.)
Other then petco, there's one store that seems to get more exotic shipments of fish in if you hit it just right, and they have over whats just half of a warehouse-ish sized wall of SW Tanks. Only issue with them is thier is no gurantee on the LFS. As well, if happen to show up between a lul on shipments your out of luck. Third, there is a small store in a shopping center which has a small SW section that is larger then petcos and more varied, and may rival the aforemetioned store, but seems to be a bit pricy. I've only been there once before my tank cycled, so now that i am a bit more knowledge on SW i may vist once again.

Anyhow, i decided to go with the second store. Gurantee or not, i have plants and FW fish from there still kicking it. (They do offer a FW gurantee.) and the staff can be knowledgeable. However, i showed up on a bad day and while there was a sale going on, and while there were problary 45-50 different fish if not more to choose from, a lot of the popular nano and otherwise varities were already gone.

So, i ended up with two of the four striped humbugs (damsels.) I've already gotten some reaction to the size of these guys in a nano, but they only get to 3". (Of course, nature is always willing to make expections.) The three striped seem to get to 4 and a half, and have a larger body size.

As an attempt to get thier agression down and keep them more tolerant to future and current tankmates (which currently are a few dusters, hermit, and some snails.) i got a pair. It's quite fun to watch them zipping in and out of the coral.

However, i have bine shrimp to feed them, and am planning on supplmenting that diet with bloodworms. Bad idea? Better food in anyone's experince? Also, how long might be a good time to let them settle before adding any other mobile livestock?

If you add inverts like snails, crab or shrimp, the damsels will most likely leave them alone. They may pick at a shrimp's antenna but other than that you should be ok.
I feed my tank brine and mysis soaked in garlic, zoe and selcon.

The key to feeding is variety. I would not feed brine only because they have very little nutritional value. It would be like you sitting down every nite to supper to a plate full of twinkies. Try a variety like flake, vitamin fortified brine, Mysis, emerald entree and other good SW foods.

How large is this tank? The damsels will probably never clam down as they are the chiuauas of the SW world.

I feed Formula 1 and Formula 2 along with ORA Glo pellet and frozen mysis. I also soak my forzen foods in garlic for health.

Brine is ok but lacks a lot of nutritional value.. I have feed my SW fish blood worms and they loved them.
Like the others say variety is the key...

melosu58 what wrong with eating twinkies for dinner??? :pepsi: :popcorn:

You may have been able to pull off more fish in a larger tank, but in a tank that small, there is no room for the fish to have defined territories and unless these damsels are abnormal, you will probably have issues with anything you put in the tank now. I just dont see it happening in a ten gallon.

Back
Top Bottom