Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2005, 05:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

so i messed up...

i tested my water in the beginning of the first cycle and the ammonia levels were high so i added ammonia detox. Then i did a 50 % water change. 2 days later i tested the levels and my ammonia, and nitrite levles where through the roof!!!???? what do i do. Help me save my poor fish! ahh!!!

Old 03-29-2005, 06:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Water changes everyday will be needed to help the fish. The best thing I can recommend would be to return any fish and use a cocktail shrimp to complete the cycle. I attached the link to the fishless cycling article.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=15

What is the tank profile and water parameters?

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Remove the fish and let the cycle take it's own course. Your poor little fish dont have a fighting chance if your numbers are through the roof, Adding amonia detox, is kind of defeating the purpose of the cycle and prolonging it.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would suggest removing all livestock as well and letting the tank cycle slowly and naturally. Doing water changes and adding chemicals will just make the process longer and is a waste of money. See if the LFS will take the fish back and start over.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
yea unless that is your intention of letting the fish cycle out your tank and live a quick and miserable life then i would take them out of there and let your tank finish its cycle and stop adding any additives. if you dont have some live rock maybe you should consider doing so, i found out that it helped my tank settle down extremely quickly.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
if you dont have some live rock maybe you should consider doing so, i found out that it helped my tank settle down extremely quickly.

Yes, no fish and live rock would definately help. It could cure in your tank and help the cycle along. If it is already cured or really fresh like Liverocks.com you may loose some life on it.

Good Luck.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have 10 lbs of LR and have good filtration (penguin 330) and a protein skimmer... So should i take the LR out or keep it in?????
adam_keene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Leave the LR in the tank.
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks guys

adam_keene is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com