I was previously going to do a 6 gal
for our sons room, but the 6 gal
really leaves no fish options. We also have a 12 g hex that we were doing nothing with, so I figured it would be a better choice than the 6.
This is my first venture into saltwater, so I have tons of questions! I am researching as well, but everyone here is very helpful and I appreciate the insight of more experienced salties
Here are a few questions;
- Can I use the freshwater API liquid kit to test NH3
/pH ? I tried it, and everything looks ok, but the ammonia tests turn into a milky liquid (it's high-liter green, almost bright yellow - prob 0.2 ppm
ammonia). Maybe that's normal and I'm just not used to it?
- Is doing WC
's at 20% every week sufficient? And does anyone have any tricks or anything for mounting the powerhead in a 5 g bucket to let the water mix sit/aerate over night? I've just been dropping it in but I noticed all the salt doesn't get mixed up properly. I usually give it a good stir before I dump it in.
- Do I need a powerhead in the hex?
- For stock we like Ocellaris Clowns, Firefish, Gobies of all sorts, shrimp, snail, crab, etc. Is there anything else that would fit in a 12? What are good nano sw
fish that would get along with the clown/firefish/gobies? And would 1 of each of those be too much in our tank?
- What is the difference between mandarin dragonets and mandarin gobies? My gf is obsessed with them, but they seem hard (having to have a refugium, copepods, bigger tank, etc)
- I'd like to grow some corals. If I spend big bucks on a light fixture, I want to just go for the gold and get one that can grow anything so I don't have to worry about upgrading later. I see a lot of "VHO
" and "IceCap" stuff on CL
. Any good?
- What kind of light do I need to get for these? I guess the consensus is MH
? Here's a pic of the light fixture on the tank:
It's a small, awkward sized bulb since it's a hex... hard to find much... any recommendations are appreciated!
Are there any bulbs that would fit my existing setup and work for lots of corals?
Thanks in advance