So I was thinking.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an empty water tight 30 and 10 gal and was wondering which would be better for a reef ( no fish are wanted ... Yet) I really love the look of all salt corals and softs ( probably not what they are called as you can see this would probably be my first salt tank) any suggestions for anything from best live rock site to best filtration lighting and location ( I have a space by my window and that's it , could go on my dresser but it has a 16 gal on it now and would probably be too heavy to hold both ) anyhow would having salt and fresh in the same room mess it up? Would I have to do anything special tothe life in the tank, what about water changes? Everything will help ( I am open to the idea of some starfish or shrimp)

Having SW and FW in the same room should not be a problem at all. I would have a fish or two in the tank along with Live Rock. You need the bacteria to grow on the live rock and to grow it needs an ammonia source. A fish or two will do that. Just be sure you pick fish that are reef safe. Also, if your primary goal is nice corals, make sure you have the correct lighting. Don't limit yourself thinking you will stick with low light corals. You will find that once you do well with them you will want other things. Lastly, do lots of research before you jump in. Have a good plan together before you start and you will avoid a lot of headaches. Good Luck.

Cool lol I'm so exited, should I go with the 30 gal an the 10 for a sump? Or would that be too much or little? Also what's a good ratio of live rock to dead rock for the 30 gal?

The bigger the sump the better. The more water volume you have overall the more stable the water parameters will be. In addition, you want as much room as you can get for the return pump and the skimmer. If possible, try to have the 30 drilled so you can avoid a hang on the back overflow. They can be done but it is a pain in the rear. I built my own HOB Overflow but I wish I had know to drill my tank before I set it up. I have a 45 with a 20 gal sump.

But It would work ? I really wanna just have a corals tank but what are some fish that go good with corals?

Tons of fish available but..... Go to Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums and research them. It will tell you what size tank you need, if they are reef safe (wont eat corals) and if they are aggressive. Most people will do a pair of clown fish at the very least. :) Especially if you plan on getting an anemone at some point.

The real key is to be sure that you research them. Get a good list of what you want before you start to buy. That way you can make sure everyone will get along.

Back
Top Bottom