So, I work at petco and..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatfishguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just sitting here debating the usefulness of our current sumps. To begin with, the water is sent through carbon and prefilter pads, than back through display, so on, so forth.

Now, I came up with an idea.

What if one sump was removed, replaced with an actual tank, 3 baffles.

Initially the water moves through a deep sand bed, on through clumps of chaetomorpha (we have bad nitrate/algae issues) and then into the final baffled area, composed of live rock rubble, nitrate reactor, and a protein skimmer.

I did a design of it, it's horrible, I know, but still...

Is it a practical idea? Our water quality is bad considering our nitrate issues, we use tap water, and there isn't a lot of real filtration going on. In hindsight, I'd be managing the sump, so I could theoretically keep up with the up-keep, if you know what I mean.

I just want something to promote good filtration, water quality, healthy animals, and ultimately, good sells. If I can even convince my manager to do this i'd have to be perfect, or else I may get fired during the test run.. LOL.

Here's the sketchup results (I just started using it yesterday, so forgive how n00bish it looks..)

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7110/petcoidea.jpg

sure you can, ive seen an episode of LA fishguys where the guy was using tap water and had a fully established reef where RBTA were reporducing like weeds and had no nitrate or phosphate issues. look it up they call it a rose bubble tip garden.

as for the sump, in marine systems all you need is biological and mechanical filtration, fish will do fine with the nitrates corals won't, so unless you have nitrates in the 40ppm range its not so bad for fish, you'll just get alot of algae issues that establish to try and obsorb them

Think you could test this on a small scale? Also being that you are gonna be going to your boss about this, I'd make sure and have concrete evidence as to why you want to do this. Ie-parameter levels and why they are bad,damage they do, the algae issues, the looks of the tanks

Tap water in SF is the best, ours comes from Hetch Hetchy... my only debunk is that they add chloramine now instead of chlorine... no more simply aging the water before us.

I agree about needing to provide evidence of why this "cheap" operation/setup of yours is important for both quality of fish and showcase. I say "cheap" because you know they want something robust in longrun... something that won't break down on them or require more maintenance as what they currently do...

Also explain what each step does for "his/her" fish and water quality... basially don't just throw an expensive piece of equipment thir way.

Will need alot more details but great start.
very powerful pumps, overflow control Etc.

But run it at home first. Try to mimic lighting times and water quality at work. I am sure when u do it you will come up with many improvements. Rather do them at home than try that at work and get fired. Do it small and take before and after results and plan.

sure you can, ive seen an episode of LA fishguys where the guy was using tap water and had a fully established reef where RBTA were reporducing like weeds and had no nitrate or phosphate issues. look it up they call it a rose bubble tip garden.

as for the sump, in marine systems all you need is biological and mechanical filtration, fish will do fine with the nitrates corals won't, so unless you have nitrates in the 40ppm range its not so bad for fish, you'll just get alot of algae issues that establish to try and obsorb them
So you use tap water do you??

I am guilty of using tap water too. FOWLR.
But my saltwater mix is 7-10 days old when I use it. My tests show up great.
Phosphates are zero. Bi- weekly water changes.
I did have phosphate problem when tank started but now all good. Even my red macro algae is dying now. It was growing like crazy before.

Back
Top Bottom