So im new...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No im going to get some starter fish first and then go to SH bc i know SH need a mature tank and an experienced owner and i have none of those lol.

Also what fish would be great for eating algae off of the fake plants and LR? Im planning on getting 2 or 3 small fish and a CUC.

Thanks mitch as far as fish to eat the algae off the plants you might want to try a lawnmower blenny or a sailfin blenny.

But, But, Lawnmower Blennies get 4-5 inches and its only a 14g and its a hex. :) Not challenging you TC, but I wouldn't think that would be a good fit for that tank. Do you think it is? I can't imagine a 14g hex has much swimming room at all, especially when you get enough live rock in there. But, that is just my 2 cents!

You don't have to listen to me, but I seriously wouldn't have more than 2 fish in your tank. It won't have a lot of swimming room and though its tall, fish don't swim vertical. :( 2 small fish plus the CUC would stock your tank. I would stick to small fish like a Clown Goby, Tailspot or Bicolor Blenny, maybe a False Percula/Ocellaris Clown (I personally wouldn't), maybe a Cardinalfish, Hi Fin Banded Goby,...to name a few. All will need a cycled tank.

Last edited:
Thanks 20, I know small vert tanks suck but its for the SH, thats the only thing stopping me from selling it lol bc its so limiting.

I totally understand that. :) I just want you to stock the tank now based on the volume/shape of the tank. Gotta have room for the fish to swim if you are going to have them for any amount of time. Don't try to put too many fish in there or you'll have issues later on. It is definitely better to be safe than sorry...you know? I'm not downing you tank....I don't personally like hex tanks, but some people do and I respect that....just don't want you to overstock. Surface area is a big thing to consider IME.

There's nothing IMO that'll keep those plants clean of algae. Soft, green algae, corraline algae (hard, pretty purple in color, etc is a sign of a healthy tank) are things that'll happen in your tank that won't be fake plant friendly. There are things that will nibble at it, but not clean it. Like I said, enjoy the plants for a while. You'll see. :)

But, But, Lawnmower Blennies get 4-5 inches and its only a 14g and its a hex. :) Not challenging you TC, but I wouldn't think that would be a good fit for that tank. Do you think it is? I can't imagine a 14g hex has much swimming room at all, especially when you get enough live rock in there. But, that is just my 2 cents!

You don't have to listen to me, but I seriously wouldn't have more than 2 fish in your tank. It won't have a lot of swimming room and though its tall, fish don't swim vertical. :( 2 small fish plus the CUC would stock your tank. I would stick to small fish like a Clown Goby, Tailspot or Bicolor Blenny, maybe a False Percula/Ocellaris Clown (I personally wouldn't), maybe a Cardinalfish, Hi Fin Banded Goby,...to name a few. All will need a cycled tank.
Thanks for keep me straight. I forgot that it was a hex.:rolleyes:

Alright so UPDATE.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

Its been 17 days. Im pretty sure my cycle is done. I even saw little microscopic white dots swimming around this morning. I dont know what they are or how they got there, maybe someone could answer that. So I took a sample of my water to my LFS and had them test it, and if it passed I was going to buy some fish and some more LR. So everything was good and I wanted to get either domino damsels or striped damsels but theyre not good with other species so I bought 3 3/4 inch long green chromis. Theyre pretty cool. After acclimating them for about 30 mins, they started swimming around together and eating those white dots that were swimming around and were fine. I had to go to work so I was hoping they would be okay by the time I got back. I just got home from work and they now seem like they are a lot more comfortable. They are spread out and eating algae off of the LR besides 1. 1 was up by the surface by my filter staying still which kinda worries me. I then fed them some brine shrimp hoping it would bring the 1 up top down, but it didnt, the others were having a field day though. Whats an ideal time to feed fish? I usually work everyday from 4-9/10 pm so I would have to either feed them before or after. What should I do for feeding? Also I have my light timed to come on at 9 am and go off at 9 pm, but the sun rises at 6 am and sets around 6 pm so I figured I would give them a little light before just going from light to pitch black. But then after being in the dark for a while is it okay to turn the lights on in my room? How does that effect them? Should I not? Overall they seem very happy and okay. Ill take some pictures tomorrow of them and the LR set up.

Once a day before you go to work is fine. Also try and get some mysis shrimp or make sure that the brine shrimp you are feeding is vitamin enriched because if brine shrimp isn't it has the nutritional value of cotton candy. ;)
I'd let them settle if for a few days then see if they are the same, the one up top will come round. Also those little white things would have been coepods.

Theyre definitely a lot more active and comfortable now. Theyre munching on the copepods and swimming around. Questions....

When should I do my first water change? How often?
Im really interested in shrimp, how much longer should I wait til I can get one without hurting the bio load? Which one? Im thinking of the scarlet cleaner.
When I feed them, i feel like they could eat forever, but i know its bad to over feed so ive been only giving them enough to where it takes about 2 minutes for them to eat all the brine. How do I know if im over feeding them or not enough?
Im noticing my sand is starting to have some brown areas. Algae? Normal?
I noticed a small snail (1/8 of an inch long) on the LR I just purchased. Is he okay to stay?
What other inverts could I get in the future that will be okay with the chromis and the shrimp?

Heres some pics....

img_1091535_0_5a256675b010a8f7b8480647a4bc6700.jpg

img_1091535_1_62c54cab80c77dff2ae4f3ffa86bf8b5.jpg

img_1091535_2_2127de934bca5449fd0c09fd4819fae2.jpg

img_1091535_3_6ffd83722443976673264fff6fc1d2f0.jpg

First, you should have done the first PWC before you got your fish. Then you could have done a very large waterchange (50%) without worrying about the fish. It seems that you are doing the correct amount as far as feeding. Just watch the fish, look at their stomach and you should be okay. The brown on the sand are diatoms and are just a part of the cycle you have to work through. Do not worry to much about them. Use RO.DI water for your PWC aand they will go away on their own.\
After you do your water change you should be good to go with any shrimp you like.
PS: tank is looking great!!! Keep up the good work...

Alright cool, thanks. Im planning on doing 25% PWC every week, ill probably do one tomorrow. What would be the easiest way for me to do it with the tank of my size? And could you clarify on the RO.DI water, ive heard of it on here, but im a little fuzzy on what it is.

RO/DI water is "clean" pure water with nothing added to it. Usually you use a RO/DI filter and pass tap water through it. You can also purchase water if you are not up to buying a filter, but a filter would be better in the long run (especially with seahorses).

For the PWC, I don't have a sump either so I usually use a siphon to remove old water from the tank, and then just lift the bucket of new water up to the tank and pour it in. You could buy a kit or something with a small pump if you find that too hard, but with such a small tank you should be OK doing what I described.

What atte means by pure water is that the water is nothing more than 100% H2O. All nitrates, phosphtes, nitrites, everything is removed.
RO/DI = Reverse Osmosis De-Ionized (is that a z or s? lol)

O sweet, thanks, and if i get the RO.DI water or the filter I just add the salt to it and its good to pour in the tank with the fish in? Where would I be able to find that kind of water? LFS? Walmart?

Back
Top Bottom