So im new...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After 3 weeks I was at 0 everything for a week before I put any livestock in. Would overfeeding have anything to do with my nitrite spike? Like the decaying food that wasnt eaten? Its just weird that he has been acting wierd after I put the angel in? Maybe its because its overstocked?

If you just put something in you need to wait for your bio-filter to catch up feeding a little less for a couple days will help. The bio-filter in your tank processes waste at the rate your tank produces it. When you up the waste (by adding a fish or changing your feeding habits) your bio-filter has to catch up. The closer to your stock limit you are the longer it takes for your bio-filter to get to that equilibrium. Also the closer to your stock limit the more likely the chance of a catastrophe. IE. a small animal (fish or snail or whatever) could cause a chain reaction that would bring a tank at the edge to it's knees, the animal dies; the bio-filter can't handle the excess waste; your tank starts to become toxic; it kills some other small animals; they start to decay; soon your fish are swimming in a toxic soup and you have a crash that kills almost all in your tank. A crash like that usually happens over days. (if you catch this happening you can do PWC's and keep on top of things taking out stuff as they die and with that stopping the collapse the PWC's being the most important part.)

How much LR do you have in that tank? You may need more or another source of filtering.

The only thing I dont understand is that if the water unsafe, how come only 1 out of the 9 livestock is being effected by it? All the other fish and inverts are fine, and arent the inverts more sensitive to changes in the water than a watchman goby?

Yea nothing that I can see, hes actually acting normal now. He went back into his original hiding spot under a rock today around 1pm and has been there poking his head out like he used to do before I intro'd the angel. So maybe he just needed some time to get used to the angel and not be so stressed out all the time. Idk

Back
Top Bottom