So im new...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cookies N Punch

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is from my intro post just to give you some backround

I have a 14G hexagon tall tank with a light and a filter. This is the light that came with it Amazon.com: Penn-Plax - Aquarium- FL8 8Watt 12 Aquarilux Flurbul: Kitchen & Dining I purchased a light timer and have it set 1/2 light for 3 hours, on for 10, 1/2 for 3 hours, and off for 8. I also purchased a heater and thermometer. So I went to my LFS and talked to the guy there and I told him I was just starting out and what I needed to get. He gave me some salt, a bag of LS, some LR (6lbs), a salinity guage, a bottle of Live nitrifying bacteria for SW, and a bottle that removes nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, chlorine and chloramines. He told me to mix the salt and water (1/2 cup per gallon obv.), test the salinity and start the filter. Then he said add the LR, but not the LS. Then add the additives I noted. Let it cycle for 3 days and then add the LS. So today is day 4, and I added the LS yesterday. I also bought a test kit but its the strips, which I found out are frowned upon for being not so accurate after I bought them, which was awesome. I will test everything tomorrow and post them. So for now Im just letting it cycle. Heres a pic of it today.

img_1086865_0_23f004641960a4c448b6f78d98fdc9a3.jpg

BTW my goals are to get a protein skimmer and have a FOWLR tank with mostly inverts and some hardy fish. Eventually down the road I want to get seahorses, which I know are very sensitive and very hard to take care of, but I think my tank should be okay, I just need to build my knowledge.

So heres my questions..
How much longer do you think it should cycle?
When should I add a CUC? How many of what?
Am I doing anything wrong?
Any suggestions on helping my setup without changing the tank size?
Is my lighting okay for what I want?

Thanks in advance!

Update : 3/15

I did the tests today that I said I was going to do above. Heres the results
These are kind of appoximate because its the strips..

Salinity - 1.022
Ammonia - .3 ppm
Nitrate - 20 ppm
Nitrite - 3.0 ppm
Alkalinity - 300+
pH - 8.0
Temp - 76F

Heres a pic of the tester

img_1086865_1_978e77b59e369598a217848100b40744.jpg

So how can I get my Nitrite down? Water change or let it cycle out?

Let the cycle ride. After the ammonia and then nitrite peaks, then both return to zero, your cycle is complete. Nitrites are a normal part of the sequence. I wouldn't change the water until after the cycle is complete.

Ok where to start. I personally think your LFS is not on the level. Read this for how to cycle the tank. Take the bottle so call live nitrifying bacteria back.

Cycle your salt tank

Also liquid test strips are way more accurate that strips. Also only worry about Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates during the cycle. all you other water test will be bouncing all around during the cycle. Also for a tank that small I would skip the skimmer. Weekly PWC`s will accomplish the same thing in that size tank. Save your noney to buy a RO/DI unit. Take your tap water conditioner back also Read this

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/chem.htm

Last edited:
Also, if you are planning to put seahorses in this tank, then you are most likely going to have to make it a species only tank. Meaning you can only put seahorses in there. The reason being that they are extremely slow, and extremely delicate. You need to make sure that they get food without having the other fish around them eating it all before it gets to the seahorse. You also would not want any inverts that could grab at the seahorse while it is attached to a rock because when they aren't swimming around, they are anchored to rocks or other things with their tails. Keeping a seahorse is pretty advanced, but can be done as long as you know every little detail about them.

But first is first, let your tank cycle and follow the advice given above because it couldn't be any better.

Cool, thanks for the input. So do you think my tank has started to cycle with the nitrite being high right now? Or is that nothing to where its going to be during the cycle? If I havent started it yet, im thinking of doing the raw shrimp method today.

Well your ammonia is up, so yes, i would say your cycle has started. Just keep testing your water every day. Once you begin to see Ammonia and Nitrite levels drop, then you will know your tanks cycle is coming to a close. Once your Ammonia and Nitrite levels hit zero, it's best to do a 40-50% water change in order to drop the level of Nitrates considerably. Just like austinsdad said in his first post, ;)

after reading your post, it seems that you have a very light ammonia load for your tank. Be aware that your tank will only cycle to the ammonia load that is in there. This means that you have to add your animals very slowly so that the bateria load can catch up to the animal load that is in your tank.
I hope that makes sense. ;
Your cycle is done when your ammonia and nitrite reads return to 0 after raising and you only have a nitrate reading.

Thats a nice write up on your SH set up Melosu

lol and yea that makes sense thincat, but does that exclude a CUC and/or hardy animals? Bc I really wanna get a star when my cycle is done.

I think im just ganna add the raw shrimp today to kick up my nitrite. Good idea?

Starfish need a very mature tank. They are very suseptable to water parameter swings. IMO tank needs to be at least a yr old.

I bought some fake plants and changed the rock around. My Nitrite is sky rocketing around 9 or 10 ppm, but my ammonia is still around 2 ppm and my nitrate is around 40 ppm. Everything else is fine. Its been about a little over a week now, so hopefully my cycle will plateau soon and start declining. So I can add a fish and a CUC. Which fish are great to start out with? Gobys? Damsels?

Heres a pic of the plants..

img_1088417_0_c251c662da7b92bca59fd9621e2329e3.jpg

Gobies and blennies would be a good start I think. The fake stuff is gonna get covered with yucky stuff later and you'll likely ditch'm. Diatoms. Algaes. Have fun with the plants for a while.

I'd also add 2x that amount of rock. Helps with the natural filtration. 1-1.5 lbs per gallon works well for most.

Since you don't have alot of room in that tank, I'd stick with just 1-2 small fish tops.....similar stocking to a 10g, though I think a 10g has more surface area. :)

I think I missed it, but what is your ammonia source? Just the live rock?

And I agree about the plants and adding more rock.

Yea i know the tank is small but I got it for its height because eventually my goal is seahorses. Yea my ammonia source is just the LR and the LS. I was going to do the raw shrimp but my nitrite is so high that im pretty sure ive already started cycling so im just going to let it ride out and see what happens. And is there any animal I could get that would primarily eat the algae off of the plants later? Also, wouldn't i have to start my cycle all over if I add more LR?

Thats a nice write up on your SH set up Melosu

lol and yea that makes sense thincat, but does that exclude a CUC and/or hardy animals? Bc I really wanna get a star when my cycle is done.

I think im just ganna add the raw shrimp today to kick up my nitrite. Good idea?
Don't get me wrong but, a star is not a hardy animal. It is very sensitive to water changes. When you do add a hardy animal make sure it's one that you will enjoy and does not turn into the bully of your tank.

"Also, wouldn't i have to start my cycle all over if I add more LR?"
Oops, forget the write up!!!
Not really because the LR that you have will aid in finishing the cycle. It might notch up a bit but then the new rock will start to have lots of good bacteria on it and this will speed up your cycle.

Last edited:
Alright cool, yea ill all some more rock maybe like another 7 lbs because im already at 7 lbs and its a 14G

Mitch I'm brain dead right now. What does SH stand for?

Back
Top Bottom