So mad, lights in water!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yash

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I saved up a Lot of money and bought some nice reef lights Off craigslist, while I was setting them up, my dog who I put outside apparently got back in and jumped on my back and half the light fell in the water and now it's not working. What do I do? Im just a college student so
I cant keep spending money. Is there abythig I can do? Please help

Hollly crap. I would cry.
Id just try letting it dry in the sun for a few days and then try it again. Maybe try a new bulb.
I dont know much about electronics but it could be toast.
You didnt shock your fish did you?

I'm close to it. I saved up for it for a while.
No it was turned off so the fish are okay.
I will let it dry and see what happens. I really really hope it turns back on

I would think that drying them out should work. Do you have a spare bulb just in case the bulb goes bad?

Btw the moon lights or w/e the 2 little blue lights on the side still work, so do you think its only the bulbs that don't work?

Does it have an internal ballast? That could be the part that got wet.

I guess it does because there's nothing on the out side

if you tried to turn it on without lettign it dry its possible that you blew the ballasts.

let it dry and try again its possible its the lamps but i would beg to differ.

what type of fixture is it anyway?

if you tried to turn it on without lettign it dry its possible that you blew the ballasts.

I am very sorry to hear this, I would be sick to my stomach.

Bad thing to learn by experience, but if anything electronic gets wet, the last thing you should do is try to turn it on to see if it works without letting it dry out first..... I would venture to say you likely fried it. If you can, remove an end or cover and set in front of a fan for a day or two, put it back together, and cross your fingers. If it's a flourescent, you may have just popped the ballast, which is replaceable, but can be pricey depending on the fixture.

So update for today-

I turned in back on and moon lights work and only one side works. I thought it was
Maybe broken lights so I switched them
Over and both lights work. What should I do next? Just keep on drying it and pray?
I spoke to a buddy who has a reef aquarium and he has had it happen to
Him too so I guess I'm not alone.

image-3320033602.jpg

image-620854087.jpg

Yash said:
So update for today-

I turned in back on and moon lights work and only one side works. I thought it was
Maybe broken lights so I switched them
Over and both lights work. What should I do next? Just keep on drying it and pray?
I spoke to a buddy who has a reef aquarium and he has had it happen to
Him too so I guess I'm not alone.

First thing to do is read the replies and STOP TURNING IT ON! Leave it for at least a couple of days to dry, turning it on without it being properly dry will do more damage.

Back
Top Bottom