Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2004, 03:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Try this, 10% water change for 10 days to lower nitite levels and use a nitrifier additive such as Cycle from your LFS or Petco. Just make sure that the 6g of make up water is the correct salinity, well dissolved and close to tank temperature.

Old 01-21-2004, 04:49 PM   #12
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
IMHO, The cycel product, while it may be useful in a FW tank, has no place nor effect in a SW tank. Only ways you should consider is with either LR or the shrimp method. 8)

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 09:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to jester Send a message via Yahoo to jester
can i just leave it alone and test it everyday to make sure it does not go over 2 will it fix itself or just continue to rise i dont want to take the fish and shrimp out if i dont have to i only have a 20 gallon tank to put them in that water is perfect also what if i took the water out of that atnk and put it in the main tank would that help? it is my qt tank but i have it running all the time with one damsel in it
my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:22 AM   #14
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would recommend that you transfer your fish for now to the QT and just change water every other day to keep water quality high. Use the shrimp method to cycle your main tank and test for and be sure you monitor ammonia and nitrites to start with. As the ammonia spike winds down, you should see the nitrite spike.
As the nitrite spike winds down, start testing for nitrates. This should start to increase. When ammonia and nitrites are 0, do the water change and then transfer your fish back. If you want to leave them in and take you chances, that of course is a risk you have to decide if you want to take. HTH

Me
Old 01-22-2004, 10:46 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I took all my fish out and put them in the 20g qt because one of my mated banded coral shrimp died man im pissed they were hard as hell to find they are about 4inches each or were I left my snails and hermit crabs in there should i move them as well or can they make it? and one damsel i put it the main cause he attacks my other fish will the tank cycle with the one damsel in there or should i use the shrimp also right ow my ammonia is at 2 and my nitrites are at 2 let me know what i should do and i will start today thanks i dont want to lose anything else
my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
Old 01-22-2004, 10:59 AM   #16
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would not put the damsel in the main tank. You may want to try the following so that you take the edge off of the aggression:

Place the damsel in an breeding container (just make sure you have good water circulation). Rearrange the stuff you have in the 20G. Leave the damsel in the container for a couple of days then release. This should help. I would also remove all your inverts. They are expecially susceptible to water quality issues. Once everything is out. Start your cycle (keep lights off or you will have an unhold algae bloom). Sorry to hear about the loss of the coral banded. I know how it hurts to lose anything. Good luck. Let us know how you make out. Glad to help in anyway we can.

Me
Old 01-22-2004, 12:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The sanitizing event still doesn't explain why the tank has been lingering at 2ppm of nitrites both before and after the cleaning. Something occurred before that has hindered the cycle from completing, or there is not enough biomedia available for the livestock you have. Have you noticed any jump in ammonia during this time period? If not, then your tank is not completely recycling. IMO, there is still a missing "x" factor involved that may or may not rectify itself by trying to cycle over again.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes my nitrite have been at 2 for about 2 months then last week my ammonia jumpped to 2 after i cycled the tank for 2and a half months everything was at 0 then a couple months later this happend I dont know if this makes a diffrence but my biomedia is the stringy stuff not the balls are the balls better? also i know my protein skimmer was not pulling barley anything out I thought maybee it was evaporating but then i noticed the **** fell down to a low level I will take all inverts today thanks

Old 01-22-2004, 02:52 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

also should i add some live rock i have ben thinking about doing that i read it makes a huge diffrence thanks once again for your help and simpathy

Old 01-22-2004, 03:09 PM   #20
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

LR would definitely help and yes I think the bio-balls would help. However you will see opinions here that say that if you have enough LR, you do not need the bio-balls as this will lead to a higher nitrate level than without it. I myself use both LR and bio-balls and my nitrate levels hover around 10-15 ppm. So its up to you how you want to proceed with this. However from what you have said so far, you do need to start the cycle and at least zero out your ammonia and nitrites. Also remember to cross check with another test kit to be sure you are not getting erroneous results from the one you are using now. HTH

Me

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com