Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

So many things on LED lighting please help!!!!

I'm in the research part of my first reef tank build. 79 bow reef ready with sump. I want to go with LPS corals and fish. Not sure witch ones yet. I can't figure out what LED to get. I willing to spend up to $500. I'm seeing things with dimable, sunrise/sunset, seasons, and all different cycles. Even saw one that has clouds fly by and lighting storms. Sound good to me but I want other people thoughts who have been doing this for awhile to give a lesson on witch way to go. Please help!!!! And feel free to throw in some LPS's to look into!

Old 09-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dimmers on separate channels allows you to control the appearance of your tank. The extra bells and whistles such as sunrise,sunset, and storms are cool but only for aesthetics and don't actually affect anything.

As for LPS I'm a fan of Chalices, Acans, and Blastos. Also like galaxeas. Common LPS are torch/hammer/frogspawn.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Dimmers on separate channels allows you to control the appearance of your tank. The extra bells and whistles such as sunrise,sunset, and storms are cool but only for aesthetics and don't actually affect anything. As for LPS I'm a fan of Chalices, Acans, and Blastos. Also like galaxeas. Common LPS are torch/hammer/frogspawn.
I was reading that having dimmers can help from bleaching the coral cause of them being on to high?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog5 View Post
I was reading that having dimmers can help from bleaching the coral cause of them being on to high?
This is more important when switching lights so that you give your established corals time to adjust. Not so necessary with a new tank. As you add corals you should start them on the bottom of the tank and then slowly move them up as needed. Same principle but the first is for already added corals and the later for adding corals after the light.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, if you don't need/want all the bells and whistles the LEDs gaining popularity on here are the 120 watt dimmables found on eBay. You can get two for $230 which I think is all you would need(quantity wise). what are the dimensions of your tank?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The dimmable lights will let you adjust the color balance. More blue or more white I run mine a bit more blue to make the colors pop

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Also, if you don't need/want all the bells and whistles the LEDs gaining popularity on here are the 120 watt dimmables found on eBay. You can get two for $230 which I think is all you would need(quantity wise). what are the dimensions of your tank?
My tank is 48x23x18
Old 09-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #8

My tank is 48 long x 23 hight x 18 width
Old 09-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Then yes two of the 120 watt dimmable LEDs on eBay will be enough. If you want the bells and whistles of sunrise/sunset and storms for aesthetics then look at the more expensive brands.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #10

Thank you very much!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com