Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Okay..

A couple suggest a sump, does that mean I have to drill the tank for it?
its all personal preference, some will say sump because they want a "clean" tank look with no equipment showing, i think with a black or blue background on the tank, HOB equipment is fine, heres some good stuff for a 50g tank to go with your canister.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/1174/

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/1176/

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/1933/

Old 09-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Okay so it looks like I would start with FOWLR but with reef safe fish, then move on to reef later if I so choose..

Am I able to use the canister or what are better options? Also what sand do I use?
Sump is best but a canister will be fine with regular cleaning. Some people here run a canister and have successful reef tank just have to clean it regular. Fowlr and a decent t5 light will allow you to keep some soft corals Kenya tree, mushrooms and some leathers and lower light lps. I run a 36 bowfront with a emperor 200 and no problems(with bio wheels) not as hard as it seems.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

A sump is more beneficial than just hiding equipment. It adds water volume which helps keep parameters more stable. And no you don't have to drill to do a sump. You can use an HOB overflow.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishy View Post
Sump is best but a canister will be fine with regular cleaning. Some people here run a canister and have successful reef tank just have to clean it regular. Fowlr and a decent t5 light will allow you to keep some soft corals Kenya tree, mushrooms and some leathers and lower light lps. I run a 36 bowfront with a emperor 200 and no problems(with bio wheels) not as hard as it seems.
x2 i have a 36g bow front with a topfin 75 dual valley hob filter and powerheads, no skimmer, and dual t5ho lighting and my fowlr is doing great, fish are healthy and water is crystal clear

to the OP: your fluval 405 is rated for 225gph, the hydor powerheads are rated for 850gph, thats 1925gph combined, so with a 50 gal tank thats 38.5x water turn which is very effecient, especially for a fowlr/future reef.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Checkout dr fosters and smith powerheads 2 700 korlias, and 2 or 4 bulb t5 light. Petco sells 2 bulb t5 for that size tank 70bucks.get your bulbs at the lfs better quality. Sand and live rock your ready to go. 250 start up then test kits and other thing always while your tank cycles. Light you could use the one on there for fowlr that will save some money but for the corals I mention at least a two bulb t5.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
A sump is more beneficial than just hiding equipment. It adds water volume which helps keep parameters more stable. And no you don't have to drill to do a sump. You can use an HOB overflow.
I see, what size HOB is used, is the HOB functioning as well or just a tank? I have a cabinet below I could do a sump in, but is there a concern with power failures etc?

If the canister is okay to use since I have it I will try it. Unfortunately I have to keep this on a cheaper budget and I know cheaper budget does not always work with SW.

If there's another low cost alternative, I can put the 405 on my Cichlid tank and run two on that one
Old 09-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If the canister is okay to use since I have it I will try it. Unfortunately I have to keep this on a cheaper budget and I know cheaper budget does not always work with SW If there's another low cost alternative, I can put the 405 on my Cichlid tank and run two on that one
ok if your on a budget, stick with the canister you already have, and get a pair of good powerheads and either of the skimmers i posted links to will work for you, and your in the clear, a hob overflow or drilled overflow and sump is going to cost you around $300-$400 for good equipment that wont fail, and yes there is a danger with power outages and sumps, but theres equipment to keep your system at bay, meaning more $$$ as well, so for ease of use and budget friendly, the canister you already own is your best bet because your cutting out $250 on the canister alone
Old 09-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

More like $200 tops on a basic sump setup.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I see, what size HOB is used, is the HOB functioning as well or just a tank? I have a cabinet below I could do a sump in, but is there a concern with power failures etc?

If the canister is okay to use since I have it I will try it. Unfortunately I have to keep this on a cheaper budget and I know cheaper budget does not always work with SW.

If there's another low cost alternative, I can put the 405 on my Cichlid tank and run two on that one
Look up eshopps overflow or CPR overflow.

Since you are on a budget just stick with the canister for now. Just clean it once or twice a week. Also stick with the light you have for now. Upgrade light when you are ready for corals/anemones. I would at least recommend investing in a good skimmer now. Get one rated twice your tank size.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure what the benefits of the canister are, can someone explain it? I run a 55 with two power heads and a skimmer, works fine for me with weekly water changes. Wouldn't the canister just be adding extra maintenance/potential nitrate build ups? The only downside to t5 lighting is the bulbs replacement yearly. Once I reached my first bulb replacement on a 4 x t5 unit I was regretting it. The cost of led is more upfront but uses less electricity and no need for regular bulb changing. Just a thought, they are a good price at the moment and you will be ready for corals when the time comes...

Tags
salt, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com