So my son wanting a Salt Tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure what the benefits of the canister are, can someone explain it? I run a 55 with two power heads and a skimmer, works fine for me with weekly water changes. Wouldn't the canister just be adding extra maintenance/potential nitrate build ups? The only downside to t5 lighting is the bulbs replacement yearly. Once I reached my first bulb replacement on a 4 x t5 unit I was regretting it. The cost of led is more upfront but uses less electricity and no need for regular bulb changing. Just a thought, they are a good price at the moment and you will be ready for corals when the time comes...

a canister would be your mechanical filtration aka "water polishing" thats basically what it boils down too, a skimmer pulls all the small micro stuff out that yuo didnt even know was tehre, but canister pulls heavy matter and polishes the water with different stages of media.

Thank you, I always wondered if there were any benefits at all with canister filters (I know they are more of a freshwater thing)

Thanks for all the info..

First I need to get his 10 gal running again

if you plan to do a nano tank its way simpler, all you need is a good hob like a 20gal or 30gal rated hob filter and if you feel the need for a skimmer, you can use the aquaticlife 115 mini skimmer its about $50 and is rated for 30gal so youd only be about $80 deep in equipment, then all you would need is sand and dry rock and your good to go (y)

if you plan to do a nano tank its way simpler, all you need is a good hob like a 20gal or 30gal rated hob filter and if you feel the need for a skimmer, you can use the aquaticlife 115 mini skimmer its about $50 and is rated for 30gal so youd only be about $80 deep in equipment, then all you would need is sand and dry rock and your good to go (y)

Tell me more.. My son's 10 fresh had the HOB die. So I have to get that running, I thought if I do SW it will be the 50 in my family room as the 10 is in his room..

If I switch to a HOB for the 50, what is suggested

Hob may be ok for smaller tanks but not the 50. You will need a skimmer.

Hob may be ok for smaller tanks but not the 50. You will need a skimmer.

Sure I understand that, I meant the HOB in place of the canister if that is a better option.

Still up in the air, so if I do a SW 10 gal

What sand and rock qty will I need? Since I need a filter I can up the size.

What will the maintenance be on it? Will the 50 for SW be better?

Tell me more.. My son's 10 fresh had the HOB die. So I have to get that running, I thought if I do SW it will be the 50 in my family room as the 10 is in his room..

If I switch to a HOB for the 50, what is suggested

i wouldnt do a hob for the 50, i would use the canister you have with either of the hob reef octopus skimmers i posted links to on a previous page in here, along with a pair of powerheads and youll be good.

Larger is always better and easier. Smaller water volumes have larger parameter swings as water evaporates which means the need for more frequent water top offs.

Sure I understand that, I meant the HOB in place of the canister if that is a better option.

Still up in the air, so if I do a SW 10 gal

What sand and rock qty will I need? Since I need a filter I can up the size.

What will the maintenance be on it? Will the 50 for SW be better?

the 10 is going to be a fun little tank, about 10-15lbs of rock and a 20lb bag of special grade reef sand, add the sand in till you have about 1.5"-2" sand bed, and get your hob filter and your ready to rock, (after about 2wks of cycling)

It will get you used to topoffs, water changes, parameter managment etc once you master a smaller tank a larger one is cake i.e. your 50g tank. i would hold off on the 50g and get into the swing of things with the 10g and then take on the 50g thats just my $0.02

heres a listing of fish to get your son into a sw tank faster, just pay attention to max size which should be 4" and under, and temperment, they have a very well laid out compatability chart, check that out.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+1926

Last edited:
the 10 is going to be a fun little tank, about 10-15lbs of rock and a 20lb bag of special grade reef sand, add the sand in till you have about 1.5"-2" sand bed, and get your hob filter and your ready to rock, (after about 2wks of cycling)

It will get you used to topoffs, water changes, parameter managment etc once you master a smaller tank a larger one is cake i.e. your 50g tank. i would hold off on the 50g and get into the swing of things with the 10g and then take on the 50g thats just my $0.02

heres a listing of fish to get your son into a sw tank faster, just pay attention to max size which should be 4" and under, and temperment, they have a very well laid out compatability chart, check that out.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+1926
ecial grade reef sand? My guess is Aquarium Adventures will have it?

Do I still use a heater? Also suggestions on a HOB for the 10 gal (is brand&size)

Live rock or dry rock or?

I would go with the 50, I had a ten gallon reef for the past 8 months that was great but I ran out of room stocking it and could only keep 2 clowns. Also Evaporation in the tank was a pain until I put a top on it. If you want more than 2 small fish I would do the bigger tank and save yourself the upgrade down the line.

I would go with the 50, I had a ten gallon reef for the past 8 months that was great but I ran out of room stocking it and could only keep 2 clowns. Also Evaporation in the tank was a pain until I put a top on it. If you want more than 2 small fish I would do the bigger tank and save yourself the upgrade down the line.

If I do 10 the upgrade would be in addition to, not in place of honestly

Either way he needs his tank 'fixed'

ecial grade reef sand? My guess is Aquarium Adventures will have it?

Do I still use a heater? Also suggestions on a HOB for the 10 gal (is brand&size)

Live rock or dry rock or?

i reccommend it, its not to fine, but still looks good and doesnt get stirred up quite as easy, and a small heater like a 50w or 100w aqueon would do great in a 10g, and a topfin 30 would be perfect IMO or a topfin 20 but in the 30 you have room to use extra polyfil in it, or purigen, etc.

Marine Reef Aquarium Substrates: CaribSea Arag-Alive

Pukani is the most porus which means better bio filter but IMO it is the hardest to aqua scape with.

Thanks I think he is on board for salt in his 10 gal.

I will start a new thread when we get a filter and are ready to buy stuff

Back
Top Bottom