So my son wanting a Salt Tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
My son is learning oceanography in school this year and his teacher has a small 5 or 10 Gal Salt tank in the classroom, which is making him want a saltwater tank.

I currently have a 55 Cichlid tank, a 50 FW community and two 10 gal Community in both kids rooms. Unfortunately my Son's filter died (found it not running tonight) so his fish are now in my 50Gal.

Anyway, if I do a SW, the kids want a starfish. We were at Aquariu Adventures and the Manager there was pretty helpful but I figured ask here too..

Here is the equipment I have if I go SW

50 gal tank, Fluval 405, Aqueon Pro Heater (200W I think). So what else will I need? the tank is older so I am not looking to drill it, I have to buy a new HOB for his 10gal, but now it the time to starting thinkign about converting and giving the fish away or putting a couple in my daughters tank..

The tank is 30in x 18in x 24in I believe.. here is a picture of it:
2011-08-31_19-39-20_910.jpg

THANKS for any help

In order to answer what you'll need, you need to determine if you want a reef or FOWLR (fish only with live rock). It really does help to plan first before you're too far one way or the other to change. Many fish aren't safe for a reef and if you have a reef, there a certain starfish you can't get either. Also some fish eat starfish too, so plan what you want first, then more answers will follow.

Dunno honestly.. I guess more research is required on my end.. Which would work better?

What is needed for both from a filtration and Live Rock or Live Sand stand point? Can I use the Fluval with either? Is there one of the above that is a bit better on the pocket book then the other?

Dunno honestly.. I guess more research is required on my end.. Which would work better?

What is needed for both from a filtration and Live Rock or Live Sand stand point? Can I use the Fluval with either? Is there one of the above that is a bit better on the pocket book then the other?

I'd probably go Folwr to start with but stick to reef safe fish. A full on reef will require good lighting and ideal parameters...which means getting some decent gear $$$. By sticking to reef safe fish, you can switch your fowlr to a reef system more easily if you want to go that route down the line.

Check out live aquaria.com for checking reef compatibility. FOWLR is cheaper, but a reef will provide a greater opportunity for learning. Just takes more time, money, and patience. Up to you. I have a reef and a FOWLR and I seem to spend more time looking at my reef. Both are awesome though!!

I agree best to decide what you want first before set up. I also think its a good idea to start fish only before you try any corals, just so you get the hang of it all. Salt water is different to freshwater in that there are so many different ways to set up your filtration. Canisters are not commonly used in salt but people do use hob filters. Check out some of the articles on here about how to set it all up. You will need powerheads for water movement, probably 2 and although its not needed I would recommend a protein skimmer for this size tank. Sand is optional, but I believe good to have for beneficial bacteria but also in case you decide to get a substrate dwelling fish, live rock is a must - aim for around 50 pounds or so (you can buy dry rock to start, it's cheaper and will become live over time) test kits of course and if you are thinking reef at any stage I recommend investing in a rodi machine for making water, tap water is not advised. A refractometer is more accurate in measuring your salinity. I think that's the basics! Oh, be prepared to drop some cash on lighting that will support corals too...

Okay so it looks like I would start with FOWLR but with reef safe fish, then move on to reef later if I so choose..

Am I able to use the canister or what are better options? Also what sand do I use?

I would recommend a sump if you can fit one below the tank. I would recommend getting a good skimmer and ditching the canister unless you want to clean it at least once a week.

I'd probably go Folwr to start with but stick to reef safe fish. A full on reef will require good lighting and ideal parameters...which means getting some decent gear $$$. By sticking to reef safe fish, you can switch your fowlr to a reef system more easily if you want to go that route down the line.

im going to same route with my tank, its been up about 3 months and i plan to go reef once i hit the 6 month mark so im planning everything for that as should you IF thats what you want to do, and my $0.02 is to spend the money now and dont skimp, you get what you pay for in performance and quality ESPECIALLY in this hobby. i would rather drop some extra cheese now on good equipment then have a crash and lose BIG $$$ on fish later.

Check out live aquaria.com for checking reef compatibility. FOWLR is cheaper, but a reef will provide a greater opportunity for learning. Just takes more time, money, and patience. Up to you. I have a reef and a FOWLR and I seem to spend more time looking at my reef. Both are awesome though!!

a fowlr is very affordable and easy to care for, you and your son will catch on and get the hang of things quickly on a fowlr, and liveaquaria is a very helpful site with LOTS of info and ease of navigation through fish selection.

Okay so it looks like I would start with FOWLR but with reef safe fish, then move on to reef later if I so choose..

Am I able to use the canister or what are better options? Also what sand do I use?

i have a thread on this where we all get into it sorta lol canister are ok to use especially if you already own one rated for the tank you have, that will cut a huge chunk out of the cost of a sw conversion. the ONLY thing with canisters is your going to have to be very persistant in keeping it clean, as in weekly cleaning and media changes to prevent nitrate spikes.

Okay..

A couple suggest a sump, does that mean I have to drill the tank for it?

its all personal preference, some will say sump because they want a "clean" tank look with no equipment showing, i think with a black or blue background on the tank, HOB equipment is fine, heres some good stuff for a 50g tank to go with your canister.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/1174/

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/1176/

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/1933/

Sump is best but a canister will be fine with regular cleaning. Some people here run a canister and have successful reef tank just have to clean it regular. Fowlr and a decent t5 light will allow you to keep some soft corals Kenya tree, mushrooms and some leathers and lower light lps. I run a 36 bowfront with a emperor 200 and no problems(with bio wheels) not as hard as it seems.

A sump is more beneficial than just hiding equipment. It adds water volume which helps keep parameters more stable. And no you don't have to drill to do a sump. You can use an HOB overflow.

Sump is best but a canister will be fine with regular cleaning. Some people here run a canister and have successful reef tank just have to clean it regular. Fowlr and a decent t5 light will allow you to keep some soft corals Kenya tree, mushrooms and some leathers and lower light lps. I run a 36 bowfront with a emperor 200 and no problems(with bio wheels) not as hard as it seems.

x2 i have a 36g bow front with a topfin 75 dual valley hob filter and powerheads, no skimmer, and dual t5ho lighting and my fowlr is doing great, fish are healthy and water is crystal clear (y)

to the OP: your fluval 405 is rated for 225gph, the hydor powerheads are rated for 850gph, thats 1925gph combined, so with a 50 gal tank thats 38.5x water turn which is very effecient, especially for a fowlr/future reef.

Checkout dr fosters and smith powerheads 2 700 korlias, and 2 or 4 bulb t5 light. Petco sells 2 bulb t5 for that size tank 70bucks.get your bulbs at the lfs better quality. Sand and live rock your ready to go. 250 start up then test kits and other thing always while your tank cycles. Light you could use the one on there for fowlr that will save some money but for the corals I mention at least a two bulb t5.

A sump is more beneficial than just hiding equipment. It adds water volume which helps keep parameters more stable. And no you don't have to drill to do a sump. You can use an HOB overflow.

I see, what size HOB is used, is the HOB functioning as well or just a tank? I have a cabinet below I could do a sump in, but is there a concern with power failures etc?

If the canister is okay to use since I have it I will try it. Unfortunately I have to keep this on a cheaper budget and I know cheaper budget does not always work with SW.

If there's another low cost alternative, I can put the 405 on my Cichlid tank and run two on that one

If the canister is okay to use since I have it I will try it. Unfortunately I have to keep this on a cheaper budget and I know cheaper budget does not always work with SW If there's another low cost alternative, I can put the 405 on my Cichlid tank and run two on that one

ok if your on a budget, stick with the canister you already have, and get a pair of good powerheads and either of the skimmers i posted links to will work for you, and your in the clear, a hob overflow or drilled overflow and sump is going to cost you around $300-$400 for good equipment that wont fail, and yes there is a danger with power outages and sumps, but theres equipment to keep your system at bay, meaning more $$$ as well, so for ease of use and budget friendly, the canister you already own is your best bet because your cutting out $250 on the canister alone (y)

Last edited:
I see, what size HOB is used, is the HOB functioning as well or just a tank? I have a cabinet below I could do a sump in, but is there a concern with power failures etc?

If the canister is okay to use since I have it I will try it. Unfortunately I have to keep this on a cheaper budget and I know cheaper budget does not always work with SW.

If there's another low cost alternative, I can put the 405 on my Cichlid tank and run two on that one

Look up eshopps overflow or CPR overflow.

Since you are on a budget just stick with the canister for now. Just clean it once or twice a week. Also stick with the light you have for now. Upgrade light when you are ready for corals/anemones. I would at least recommend investing in a good skimmer now. Get one rated twice your tank size.

Not sure what the benefits of the canister are, can someone explain it? I run a 55 with two power heads and a skimmer, works fine for me with weekly water changes. Wouldn't the canister just be adding extra maintenance/potential nitrate build ups? The only downside to t5 lighting is the bulbs replacement yearly. Once I reached my first bulb replacement on a 4 x t5 unit I was regretting it. The cost of led is more upfront but uses less electricity and no need for regular bulb changing. Just a thought, they are a good price at the moment and you will be ready for corals when the time comes...

Back
Top Bottom