So what ate my fish??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I now think that the serpent star was just doing his job and eating a fish that was already dead, but could he have eaten the whole fish in just a few hours? It was a decent sized fish, probably 3 inches long, and the serpent star, of course, has a little central disk. I saw the dead fish and the ss's tentacles touching it, but the ss was under a rock so I couldn't get a great view. I watched the dead fish go more and more under the rock and within a couple of hours it was half eaten. Then a couple of hours later it was totally gone, not a sign of it anywhere. I tested the water and our ammonia is still low, so I am sure that the fish has been devoured. But could a serpent star actually eat a fish that size that quickly? Or did something else eat it? Would baby serpent stars eat it, we saw our ss mating a little over a week ago, but no babies have been spotted yet.

Thanks,
Kimberly
husband has a 92 gallon reef tank

You would be surprised by what a serpent star can eat! Absolutely it could have consumed a 3" fish.
tested the water and our ammonia is still low
This caught my attention. Ammonia should ALWAYS be zero. Are you using a test kit for SW? If so what brand.

With all of our recent missing fish (presumed dead) I wasn't surprised to see a small amount of ammonia in our tank. It is a Red Sea Marine test kit.

Where would the serpent star put the fish? It's disk didn't seem to get any bigger like a snake's body would. But that is an impressive appetite!

Thanks,
Kimberly

Back
Top Bottom