Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

So what next?

I got the framing built on the stand and the pluming is run. I didn't glue it together yet. And I still need to put my baffles in. Obviously I want to finish the stand asap so I can get it into the right room. But I was wondering what you guys thought I should with my next pay check? I still need skimmer, rodi, lighting, etc.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If I had a choice I would vote for the ro/di and a refractometer. About $100 total. The lighting will be a big expense so you might wanna start saving for it.

How big is your tank? Are you intending on corals and if so when?

Old 08-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I have had salt water before so I do have some of testing stuff. I am not entirely sure what kind of livestock I wanna do yet and that will determine if I go reef or not. It's a 90 gallon... Whoops I forgot to post the pics. But if I do go reef it won't be for at least a few months. But where could I find an rodi unit for $100
Old 08-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

There we go. I plan on do a dsb on the right and the skimmer in between the pump and intake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1829462722.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	48471   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3774511919.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	48472  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2919593428.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	48473  
Old 08-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This is the one I and many others use
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

It;s only $69 free shipping too. The thing I like about it is it's portable so you can hook it up to your garden hose or faucet, make the amount you need and then stow it away til next time.

I have the $30 refractometer which I have found invaluable, not sure if you still have one or not.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Perfect. That's a big help. Are there all the replaceable filters and what not availible for it. Have you had any luck other eBay items?? Powerheads lighting things like that? I do have a hydrometer would like get a better one though
Old 08-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The company on ebay for the ro/di units sells replacement filters for each of their units. They run from $19 up to $34 I think. A tds meter for like $15 willt ell you when you have to replace your filters. the website says the time frame you get from each filter cartridge.

I bought this refractometer and it has proven to be very accurate and I've seen the same model on websites for $50.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I've bought things here and there on ebay, just be sure to use a credit card in case of a shady seller. i havent been out any money in years. depedningon what you are looking for I can probably find a online store for it so just ask. I spend hours each day browsing and researching as I have 9 tanks now.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well you certainly know what your doing. It helps alot. But what do you use for salt mix?
Old 08-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

When I started I used regular instant ocean. Since I have a lot of corals now I use instant ocean reef crystals. Everyone has their own favorites, so the best advice is to start simple and maybe try other kinds til you find the one you like. I buy in 200g boxes as it's only $47 adn it gives you enough time to determine if you like it or not.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sounds good. Any recommendations on a good skimmer that's not $500? Thanks again

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com