So, what's next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ferchoz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 46 gal tank... as of now this is what I have:

Coralife 36" 2x96 watt PC
Live sand
Penguin 200 HOB
Power heads (penguin 550 and Koralia 2)

I'm getting 20lb of LR this weekend and aonther 20lb next weekend.....

How do I know when my tank has finished cycling besides testing the water? How long do I have to wait to start adding fish and coral?

BTW: I will be adding a skimmer later on, for now I'm only going to use the filter and staying up with water changes....

Thank you.

That sounds like a good start. Testing is the only way to actually KNOW it's cycled. There is no exact timeframe for when to add fish or corals. On the advice of some very helpful and patient folks in my local reef club, I did the following and couldn't be happier with the results thus far.

Cycled the tank with LR & a raw shrimp.
It cycled quickly (very good cured LR) in about 2 weeks.
I waited until about the 5 week point and added snails.
I waited another 3 weeks (2 month point) and added my first shrimp and fish.

It may not be for everyone and there's always more than one way to succeed, but nothing has died and the corals are rocking so I'm now a firm believer in going slow.

So I just add 1 frozen raw shrimp to float for now??? I thought a full cycle could only take about 3 weeks! I guess I will have to wait that long! So just a frozen raw shrimp for now right? And let it float with the LR?

So I just add 1 frozen raw shrimp to float for now??? Yes. I thought a full cycle could only take about 3 weeks! The amount of time will vary depending on your LR. I guess I will have to wait that long! So just a frozen raw shrimp for now right? Yes. And let it float with the LR?

Put the shrimp in a media bag or stocking or you will have a mess on your hands. Other comments in red.

Your cycle depends on how much nitrifying bacteria you have on surfaces. The cycle could take 4-8 weeks. Read that article I gave you. It explains it all.

wow thats a great article guys..thanks a lot..... i thought it was going to be harder...

if I add bacteria is it going to speed up the process?????

The only hard thing about saltwater is "patience"...Take your time and enjoy every stage of your AQ. You will truly be amazed.

Back
Top Bottom