Some basic questions, please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ascarlis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please lend a hand …

I have spent hours researching on the internet, read countless forums, purchased and read The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, and The New Marine Aquarium, visited a number of LFS and am still stuck in the same place, namely without a tank and without a plan. Hopefully someone here can help me.

What I want:

A small saltwater tank that will house live rock, live sand, a small clean-up crew, and possibly some easy to take care of corals.

The focus of the tank will be a leaf fish. I may add a second fish later, but am content with just the leaf fish.

I was hoping to purchase some type of all-in-one system (possibly the jbj 24g nanocube).

My questions:

What do you suggest as the best set up to meet these needs? I will be moving in 18 months and so want to keep it as simply as possible.

Will I need a protein skimmer? If so, is there an all-in-one system that has a protein skimmer or will I have to modify one?

Thank you very much for any help.

Adam

Size I would say the bigger the better. Not familar with a leaf fish. All you need for filtration is LR and skimmer.

The biggest issue with these guys is not the swimming room but the waste created. Although their needs are minimal, the need for a large tank is still necessary to to the large amount of waste these fish will produce. They will not tolerate/stay healthy unless water quality stays top notch. So don't look at the fish size when choosing the tank size. Larger is definately better. A skimmer would help immensely. Which one will depend on the tank size you choose and if a sump will be incorporated. Be sure you get them (it?) onto dead foods as soon as possible and do not feed any kind of FW feeders.

Melosu... see <<here>>

YOu could jsut purchase a 10 gallon tank for cheap and get all the stuff to make that itno a nano cube type setup. Not goign to be cheap no matter how you look at it. YOu will eventually need a cleanup crew, RO or RO/DI water purifier (Unless you buy RO water). Protine shimmer will be very helpfull and I suggest doign your research and buying a good one. (Good ones are nto cheap).

I wouldn't put one of these fish into a tank as small as 10 gallon. It is far too small to properly accomodate their waste output and still maintain reasonable water quality. Minimum would be one fish per 25-30 gal but larger preferabley. Two would need a 75ish sized tank.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom