Some Beginner Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdaccord03

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a few easy (for most of you) questions.

1. When they say 1.5 - 2 lbs per gallon of live rock for the Berlin method, does that mean the size of the tank or the amount of water actually in the tank. (ie a 55 gallon tank with 55 lbs or rock probably only has about 40 gallons of water).

2. After about a month, my ammonia is still showing 6.0 according to the Mardel Master test kit (test strips) but my nitrites are starting to drop and my nitrates have stayed about the same. Did I just put too much of a bio-load in at once and cause an ammonia spike? The tanks been up for about a month now? Its a nano-reef six gallon Eclipse tank.

Thanks in advance.

JW

Attachments

• reef6.jpg
    reef6.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 305
Oh yea and my total hardness has always been reading 425 according to Mardel Master test kit (test strips) and my total alkalinity is OFF THE CHARTS!

How do I get these down to size?

Also how can I reduce phosphate?

The 1.5-2lb rule is for tank size. You could be seeing a spike but, it may also be your tests. I would take a sample of your water to the lfs for them to test it just to be sure.

I would take a look at your test strips. I don't use the strips and have heard that they aren't very accurate.
There are several ways to lower your phosphates. There are sponges you can buy. But, I'm would hold off til you get a second opinion on those test strips.

So I brought my water to my LFS and it turns out my ammonia is near 0 and my nitrite seems to be edging back down to 0 so its looking good. However, my PO4 is still showing about 0.5. Where can I find one of these PO4 sponges?

JW

55lb of LR displaces something like 4 to 6 gal, not 15. It's just a rule of thumb, and is based on overall size.

Poly-filter seems to have helped my phosphate problem. there are phosphate specific things too

Back
Top Bottom