Some fish questions -- Are these things true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill P

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently, I have read some things that I'd like to hear more about. Here they are:

1. Some breeds of dwarf angelfish can be kept together. I was under the impression that dwarf angelfish were dangerously aggressive toward one another in captivity. Nevertheless, I have read that Half-blacks and Lemonpeels can live well together, if they are introduced at the same time. Is this true? If so, are there other pairings or groupings that tend to work well?

2. Very red Flame Angels were probably caught using cyanide, and are likely to die quickly. Is this true? If so, should I be suspicious of ANY very red-looking fish -- Flame Hawks, for example? Also, can anyone think of a good way to decide what's VERY red?

Thanks in advance, as always.

1. I have not heard this before but i don't doubt that people have kept dwarf angels together. As a generalization i would not suggest it. In most cases they will fight and one will usually be stressed to the point of illness or death. This will depend on a lot of things though. Someone with a 50 gallon tank is going to have a lot different rules then someone with a 300 gallon. If you tank is large enough they may be able to have thier own space and live relativly happily. This is also going to depend largely on the personalities of the fish you end up with. One half-black may be very peaceful and another may be much more aggressive. Each fish is going to have a bit different personality. I would say mixing angels is going to be hit-or-miss at best. Probably mostly miss.

2. Never heard of this either but i would strongly believe that this is rumor. If anything cyanide would make the fish unhealth and they would lose their bright colors. If a fish is particularly dull colors i would probably stay away from it. Fish change the intensity of thier colors based on health, mood, and mating. Brighter colors are usually a good sign.

Thanks, Pat. Everything that you have said on question 1 makes perfect sense to me. Not only is it intuitively sensible, but it seems to be the position taken by pretty much everyone who says very much about fish compatibility. On question 2 however, there seems to be an awful lot out there, suggesting that cyanide produces brighter-than-normal coloration in a lot of fish. I don't know why, but I usually see this comment with angels that have a lot of red in them. Anyway, thanks.

1. I have a Yellow Tang and a Blue Hippo in the same tank and have had no problems so far. As the Hippo gets larger and demands more room then things may change. Maybe someone else has actual experience with this parring.

30132-albums1064-picture7407.jpg

Back
Top Bottom