Some help with some stupid questions...sorry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the grim reefer

Aquarium Advice Regular
We are trying to figure out where we should set up our tank (doing this weekend) the spot that works the best for weight is on our outside wall..problem is that the one end of the tank will be facing a south sided window..its a bow so it's not direct sun but its sun to say the least...any thoughts on this?

Also where this is going to go will be at the end of our couch and just happens to be at the end where my husband puts his head watching tv..so the noise is a concern. There will be a powerhead running a rena xp3 filter, and a protein skimmer...I have no idea how much noise this is going to create...

I know that they most likely sound like silly questions but I dont want something that we are going to have to move 3 months down the road.

Also this is another stupid question but might have to do with noise in the future...can you set up HOB ref without having a sump? I like the fact that it would house beneficial components to the tank. I think it would need some kind of a pump also so that would also come into play with the noise..

sorry for the silly questions but they are things I have no clue about..
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks so much

They arent silly questions...and you are smart for thinking of it now. The noise could very well be a problem. All these things individually, have assorted noises and when you start adding them together, it can become a problem. If you do not have a sump, the noise will not be as bad. You can set up a HOB fuge, but they are not as effective in my opinion as they can rarely be big enough. A little is better then nothing though.

As far as placement to the window, a south window shouldnt be that bad.

Well that is good to know about the noise...I guess he might just have to pretend he is on a beach :)

Maybe I might be living on a beach if its too loud... :lol:

I might look into a rug after the tank gets going...start with the basics right now...

the grim reefer said:
I might look into a rug after the tank gets going...

???

I'm assuming you mean a rug for in front of the tank? If so, then I'm guessing you have hard wood floors or something non-ruglike? You might not want to do that, or at least make sure it's taped down real good so it's not a trip/slip hazard. I can just picture the rug slipping, a person going down, and naturally reaching out to brace/catch themselves against the tank. Maybe I'm just being overcautious, but I moved a clock that was on the wall over our tank because I didn't want it somehow coming down and crashing into the tank. It never has in the 15 years it's been up there, but hey... nothing says it couldn't happen.

Regarding the noise levels, you don't really have to worry about anything else other than your skimmer. It'll drown out all other noises. It's not like they're super loud, buy they aren't quiet either. Next behind the skimmer will be fans on your lights - assuming you get power compacts or something that has built in cooling. If you do get lighting with built in fans, be sure to find them running somewhere in a store and listen to the different brands. Some are noticably louder than others, so if noise is a concern make sure you've heard what it is you're buying.

I was surprised by the additional noise level from my system. But you get used to it. I think of it as my nice little expensive "white noise" generator. Who needs one of those fancy little gadgets from Sharper Image to get your white noise when you can have an aquarium!

About that south facing window - if you don't have blinds on it, or someway to limit the light coming through, you might want to add that before you plop your tank next to it. Much easier to do handywork without the tank there and fear of dropping something on it. Depending on how the sun comes through that window, I'd think you might want the ability to block it out if you need. Not sure of your exact situation, but if you have sun directly beaming into that tank, that could cause you some issues.

I have 2 of these in my 55G, right behind my couch. SEIO 620 they are very quiet. I also have 4 820s in my 125G.
I agree with the other advice.

Okay I feel like a fool...I meant RUF for refugium and for whatever reason I wrote RUG :oops: must have been tired..

I will definately have to do that with the lights for sure check out the sound before I buy them..that wont be until on until further down the road so by then the DH will have hopefully got used to the other noise..the tank is going in the living room so I dont want it to drown out the TV or anything. Personally I think we just need fishvision in there but others disagree..

I have a blind on that particular window and its mostly open 1/2 way during the day. I am wanting to put something for a backdrop on the back of the tank to hide equipment but not sure what any suggestions?

If you look at my gallery,, the 7th pic shows where my tank is.
The back drop could be something that you build like a wooden decoration, you'll probably get a bunch of good responses in the DIY thread.

Thank Roka...I love your gallery :!:

Your house is like ours lots of pets..good to see..

That tank is close like this one will be so that is good to know for sure. I was just concerned about the south exposure because a freshwater tank if is gets too much sun is totally green. I guess this is diffused light too so its not direct..I would have control over the amount of sun too so I will just monitor the situation. Of course I am well prepared for the algae that I am going to encounter in the next 6 weeks while the tank cycles..

I have French doors on the right side of my tank, but there is a curtain there, so it doesn't really get too much light. I think you should be ok.

the grim reefer said:
I am wanting to put something for a backdrop on the back of the tank to hide equipment but not sure what any suggestions?

Paint it. Regular old latex paint, whatever color you'd like. I went with black. First few coats look really bad, but just keep lapping it on waiting for each coat to dry first. Keep painting until you can't see through anymore. Make sure you clean the glass good first. I've found that this is really durable and there's no concern about the "stick-on" ones coming off or having salt creep underneath.

Oh... "ref" not "rug". That's makes more sense! :lol:

Thanks Kurt...I was wondering about painting it...I will do that forsure...the black would definately show things off nicely...another project sigh........ :D

why cant you have sun in the tank? is that a fresh only thing or does it apply to reefs as well?

sorry for the hijack.

mazilla said:
why cant you have sun in the tank? is that a fresh only thing or does it apply to reefs as well?

sorry for the hijack.
Light feeds algae.

well yeah, but wouldnt it be good if i had maybe a coral in the spot where the light comes in? i saw a 2k gallon tank that had windows completely behind it so that sun light would come in. besides the algae which i imagine could be kept in check with a little extra work, is there any other reason i couldnt put a coral in the spot where the light comes in? i have a blind and a thick curtain that covers it anyways, but i just happened to notice the sunny spots when i opened those windows that are always closed.thanks

I'm not sure if the right spectrum would get through. I imagine it would, but I would wait for other's thoughts.

Freshwater tanks + bright light=lots of green algae......so that is why I was concerned about the saltwater. I will give it a whirl and see what happens...if it starts to get too bad then I will paint that end of the tank too with the black paint and that would block it out. One of those wont know until I try kinda things.....

Thanks for the responses...you guys are great :!:

Back
Top Bottom