Some ideas... Good? Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 46 gallon bow I transferred all my stuff into today cause my 40g was leaking. Anyway I am going to build a sump/refugium for it. Trying to use the stuff I already have. I have a CPR overflow box, CPR bak pak skimmer, whistler power hob filter. Now im wondering since I can fit it would it be a good or bad idea to
Run the filter on the sump? Do I even need it? I plan on putting LR rubble, sand and chateo in the fuge part. This is my first sump build by the way... Any input would be appreciated. I've put baffles in before so I know how to do that much. My question is pretty much is it a good idea to run the hob filter? Should I make a spot for a filter pad in the sump? Use a filter sock? So many options!!! Thanks in advance to all that give input/advice. Also what's a good return pump?

I run a HOB on my sump most times it's filled with poly-fill i use it to polish my water Then if/when i need to QT something i have a ready made seed base. You can also run carbon/phosban and other stuff in them very handy IMO I run mine in intake section. just clean with every water change

You should use a filter sock on the intake of your sump. This will catch debris and make maintenance on the sump much easier. As for your HOB filter, if you want to run it go for it. It'll help remove stuff as well. It might help with running a filter pad or even some other type of pad that you might need later on since you don't have any reactors on the system. As for return pumps, I'm running a mag5 on my 55 with 20 sump dialed back with a ball valve.

h8z2luze said:
So I have a 46 gallon bow I transferred all my stuff into today cause my 40g was leaking. Anyway I am going to build a sump/refugium for it. Trying to use the stuff I already have. I have a CPR overflow box, CPR bak pak skimmer, whistler power hob filter. Now im wondering since I can fit it would it be a good or bad idea to
Run the filter on the sump? Do I even need it? I plan on putting LR rubble, sand and chateo in the fuge part. This is my first sump build by the way... Any input would be appreciated. I've put baffles in before so I know how to do that much. My question is pretty much is it a good idea to run the hob filter? Should I make a spot for a filter pad in the sump? Use a filter sock? So many options!!! Thanks in advance to all that give input/advice. Also what's a good return pump?

In short, no its not needed but there are a few things you could do with it as stated if you wanted to keep it. A filter sock and a bag of carbon in a baffle will be just as effective as any filter pad in power filter.

Is it better to have a small (10"x12") fuge in my sump or using a 10 gallon seperatly to make a fuge?

h8z2luze said:
Is it better to have a small (10"x12") fuge in my sump or using a 10 gallon seperatly to make a fuge?

The bigger the better add the 10g if its an option

Well I'm just thinking that might be better. I only have room for a 20g tall in my stand. Doesn't leave a lot of room for a fuge once my skimmer is in there...

What about a 5 gallon? I am limited on space is why I ask... Not lookin forward to getting it drilled though. I wish my stand had more room.

Back
Top Bottom