first off, i just want to thank everyone for their kind advice! i don't know anyone with a SW
tank and it helps to get advice from people that aren't selling anything.
A little background of my setup is:
65g tank with 20g sump/refuge
mag9.5 with SCWD for flow
75lbs of LR
Canopy with 20k radiums
150lbs of southdown in main tank
I finally purchased LR
today. I got 75lbs of uncured Miaki LR
for a great deal! but I have some more newbie q's so please be gentle.
-water changes during cycle with uncured LR
. yay or nay?
- i have a test kit. what reading should i have before i do a water change? i know i have to look out for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite.
- should i have a DSB
in my refugium in addition to the main tank DSB
? I have some macro algae for the refuge but i want it mainly for copepods for my future mandarin dragonet. what height of sand should i use in my refuge for copepods and macro algae?
- can i put my heater in the refuge?
- i saw a bit of bushy algae on one of the LR
. i tried to scrub it and most of it came off, but not all. should i take the rock out? do i need to worry about it?
- do i do water changes in the sump or tank?
- do i just dump the macro algae in the refuge? there are 2 types that i have, can i just leave them entangled? do they just float?
- how long should i run my MH
's during the curing/cycling process?
- what powerhead would you recommend for an auto top off? with about 3' of head.
- run skimmer during cycle?
i can't wait for the tank to be fully setup! i've taken pics of each stage and will make a thread when i'm done. I just need the refuge setup and I'm going to change the return plumbing setup tomorrow. hope everything goes well.
I promise when i gain more knowledge, I'll help you by answering these types of q's in the future! i promise!