some more questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetbriar15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, it's me again, with some more questions. I have a 26 gal. fish only aquarium, and have 1 damsel and 1 clown fish. I've had my aquarium about 7 or 8 weeks, and it is done cycling and the levels of ammonia and nitrite are at 0. I've attatched a picture of my new clownfish, who's been living in the aquarium for about 1 or 2 weeks now.

Here are my questions:

1) We will be going on vacation on monday for 2 weeks. We have a person from around the neighborhood that will be feeding and doing general matinence to the tank. Any suggestions for things that I need to tell them? I am going to do a water change and clean the tank completely tomorrow (the day before we leave). How many times a day would you recommend the person come over? I was thinking to make it easier, to have the person not turn the light on at all. THe room has windows, and it is pretty sunny. Would this be okay?

2) The algae in the tank is now green, and is spreading rapidly. I was told that I had my light on too long, so I've been reducing the amount of light in the tank to 6-8 hours a day. Since the room is sunny, I've been thinking I should put a dark towel over the tank when the lights go off to reduce the amount of light that gets into the aquaruim. Would this be okay? From what times do you all have your aquarium lights on?

Thanks,
Laurel

Cute Clownfish! :)

I'd recommend the person come over once a day to check things out. I'd put your lights on a timer for 12 hours on, 12 off and just put up with the algae while you are gone.

Write down all instructions for the person and ask them to feed less than you normally do while you are gone.

sweetbriar15 said:
Here are my questions:

1) We will be going on vacation on monday for 2 weeks. We have a person from around the neighborhood that will be feeding and doing general matinence to the tank. Any suggestions for things that I need to tell them? I am going to do a water change and clean the tank completely tomorrow (the day before we leave). How many times a day would you recommend the person come over? I was thinking to make it easier, to have the person not turn the light on at all. THe room has windows, and it is pretty sunny. Would this be okay?

Tell them to replace evaporated water every day or every other day. Have feedings already seperated and leave instructions on how to feed the fish, thaw frozen food in a cup of tank water...etc..., show them how to clean the skimmer cup (if you have one). I wouldn't worry about anything else. Show them how to use your computer and leave our web address (www.aquariumadvice.com) in case they are having problems and can't get hold of you. I think comeing over once a day is more than enough, maybe every other day. Leaving the lights off will not harm the fish and when you get back thatalgae problem may be under control...

2) The algae in the tank is now green, and is spreading rapidly. I was told that I had my light on too long, so I've been reducing the amount of light in the tank to 6-8 hours a day. Since the room is sunny, I've been thinking I should put a dark towel over the tank when the lights go off to reduce the amount of light that gets into the aquaruim. Would this be okay? From what times do you all have your aquarium lights on?

The lights on a fish only aquarium are more for you, than of necessity by the fish. putting a towel around the aquarium, won't hurt anything, so long as it doesn't hinder gas exchange. I wouldn't bother with it, you might try using RO/DI water for waterchanges and top off, that will reduce the nutrient necessary for algae growth. You can also buy herbivorous snails to eat the algae, provided you don't have fish that eat snails. My lights run:
11:00am -11:00pm-Actinic lights
12:30pm-9:30pm- 6700K MH

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom