Some Nitrate Normal for tank with LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

My 55g tank is at 0ppm Nitrite, and Ammonia, but has 10ppm Nitrate.

I don't have a problem changing out more water if that will lower/remove the Nitrate, but I have been told by a few people that if you have LR you will always have 10-20ppm Nirtate..

Is this true? Right now there is nothing but 65lbs of LR, 40lbs of LS, and 40lbs of dry sand.

My Coralife Super Skimmer has been running for about a week now (Made a HUGE difference in the water, The water is SUPER SUPER Clear, and no longer has a saltwater/fishy smell)

I am ready to begin stocking the tank, but I want to know if I should change out more water, or if it will even make a difference?

Also I wanted to find out Since I have a 55g tank, I know I need to change 8.25g-11g (15%-20%) Every 4 weeks, Is it just as effective change out 3g every week, or 6g every 2 weeks, or do I need to do the 15%-20% all at once?

Thanks,

-TheChad

Nitrate is acceptible if the level is in the range 0-20ppm. 0 nitrate is achievable. If ur tank is just done cycling, a big WC is recommended. About the other WC's, the more frequent they are, they better i think. I read a book and it recommended 15%-25% WC biweekly.

Good luck

4 weeks sounds a lil long between i do 10-20% every 2 weeks on my 30gal as for the nitrates you can get to 0 if you keep up on your waater changes took me 6 mo to get my new tank to 0 i would start stocking and start with aa clean up crew you should be able to get your nitrates down with weekly water changes

I also do 10%-20% every 2 weeks for my 29g tank, But have been told the larger the tank, the longer the tank has been established, and the more filtration/LR you have the longer you can go with out a PWC and not affect the system...

I will probably do 5g a week on the 55g tank

-TheChad

TheChad said:
I have been told by a few people that if you have LR you will always have 10-20ppm Nirtate..
Just the opposite since lr along with ls houses most of the Denitrifying bacteria.

A trick I learned in dealing with my canister and bio-wheels is to keep them empty most of the time since the bio-wheel has the bacteria and it isn’t contained within the canister like most.

I don’t even keep the media container inside it unless running media like GAC, just the middle tube and the top plastic part. That way anything that gets sucked in just blows out back into the tank for my clean up crew to take care of. I still clean it every couple of weeks but much less waste builds up on the sleeve if there isn’t a sleeve in the first place :)

You are doing enough pwc to keep it close to 0. When you do add stock feed preferably every other day to limit introducing excess nh3 to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom