Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2006, 01:49 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Viperboy
Well funny story about my lighting ... i got it in today and its the coralife 130 watt double linear CF strip. So ill be at about 4 or so WPG ... but i was putting on the adjustable legs i got with it and snap ... one of them broke so i have been seeing i can try and fix it and get my lighting all set up before the LR i ordered gets in tom. I would say my tank has been cycling for about a week but the filter running on it was from an establish FW tank so i dont know if that made much difference.

Ray

Old 08-23-2006, 07:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
i got it in today and its the coralife 130 watt double linear CF strip. So ill be at about 4 or so WPG ... but i was putting on the adjustable legs i got with it and snap ... one of them broke
Bummer. This happended to me with my coralife as well. I first used the clear plastic legs and they are so brittle they snap if you tighten them too much. Coralife also makes a black set of legs (not sure which ones you got) that are much much much better. More durable and you can tighten them down. I would go to a LFS and see if they sell them as oppossed to trying to fix what you have. You do not want the leg failing again while the fixture is over the water. Better to be safe then sorry.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Viperboy
I actually have the much better black ones and they are the ones that snapped ... but i got some gorilla glue (stongest on the earth) and let it dry and i think it is all good ... i also discovered that with this light i cant use my glass top anymore .... wont this mean fish can jump out or do only FW fish do that? .... also i got my live rock in today from live aquaria (45 lbs of premium fiji) and i put it all in the tank where i think it looks good and is stable (and stupid me forgot to take out water before i put the second big piece in and boom some water landed on my foot) ... but ill try to take some pics as soon as i can and see what you guys think. Also i was wondering if i should leave the light on for some of the day while i finish up my cycle cause i noticed the rocks still have some type of corals growing on them.

Also once my ammonia and nitrities hit 0 and nitrates are high i just do like a 50% change just like FW and then do like a 10% or so every other week to keep em down. I also plan on getting the algae and detrius attack packs on live aquaria cause they seem like a good deal and will take care of all that right? .... my first fishes i think will be a pair of clownfish that i might get at the store or i might order off live aquaria with the attack packs.

Ray
Old 08-24-2006, 03:23 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
wont this mean fish can jump out or do only FW fish do that?
Some people use egg crate, for Lowes or HD. This will reduce the lighting, some but it's better than having a carpet surfer. It also depends on the fish. Lots of wrasses are considered jumper. There others but I can't think of what.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com