Someone explain RO/DI units to me please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
I dont understand any of this! What I mainly need to know is how often I have to change the filters in an RO/DI unit, probably gonna go with this: BRS 4 Stage Value RO/DI System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply

And, is there a way attach it to the faucet instead of tapping into the water line like drinking water filters do?

Thanks

oh, my first tank is gonna be 28g, so I think 75GPD is fine

Typically there is no set time frame. You can watch the tds (total dissolved solids aka all the crap I the water.). If its getting higher than normal then it's prob time to change.

There are mounts that you can attach to the faucet and use that as well. There are also some that attach to your standard hose, along with some that tap into existing lines.

Yeah, buy a TDS meter to go with it so you can see how any solids are in the water coming in and the water coming out. You obviously want 0 coming out, so once it starts rising is when you want to get new filters. You may not get them when your TDS meter shows 1 PPM or something, but 0 is ideal and anything more means your filters are starting to be done. I think, but don't hold me to it, that just plain RO water is somewhere around 30PPM ish. So the DI part brings it all the way to zero.

I just hook mine up to my hose, but someday when I have some extra time will do a more perm install. Would be real nice to hook up inside and to a top off and all of that.

TDS meters are also interesting to see how bad your water quality is out of the tap... mine runs between 750 - 1000 PPM from the tap. Good lord! I think the EPA says don't drink it if it's above like 500PPM or something close to that. My water must really suck.

Make sure you get a pressure gauge with your unit. Check your pressure when the filters are new. As the 2 pre filters start to become dirty, your pressure will start to drop indicating dirty filers.

Back
Top Bottom