Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2005, 03:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to matman
Someone please calm my nerves about this!!!

I have a 12 gallon Nano Cube in which i have just converted to Saltwater. The temperature in it right now is about 75-76 degrees. I started off with one Damsel to help with the cycling, but the Damsel wouldn't eat, and was too big. I took it back to the pet store and got a Clarkii Clownfish. When i got the clownfish home, i acclimated it, however it swan very crooked, and everytime I turned the light off, it floated to the top, and just kinda stayed there. I called the pet store and told them my problem, and the told me it was Swim Bladder Disease...so i returned it and exchanged it for an Ocellaris Clownfish. Which is the fish i currently have.

The Ocellaris started out fine, just kinda swimming in one spot at the corner of my tank. It was eating very well, and then it started acting weird. I have a magnetic algae scrubber on my tank, and the fish went under it and stayed there. Right now, the light is off, and he is swimming with his face pointint towards the bottom of the tank, and it looks like something is wrong. Has this happened to anyone else? Is something wrong with my Clown, or is this common????

Please help me, my luck so far has been terrible!!

Old 02-09-2005, 08:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph readings? If you are still cycling your tank, I would urge you to take the clown fish back and finish your cycle using a piece of raw shrimp.

Old 02-09-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is an article on fishless cycling.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=15
Old 02-09-2005, 08:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Right now, the light is off, and he is swimming with his face pointint towards the bottom of the tank, and it looks like something is wrong.

Sounds like he is resting, I agree we need reading of your water and if you are still cycling you need to take the clown back. But the swimming face down in one spot while the lights are off is what I get from my clowns also.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I to, suggest you return the clown. Cycling with fish is outdated and pretty cruel to the fish. Get some LR and throw in a chunk of cockatail shrimp from the grocery store. take it slow and let things happen natually. Good luck and...
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Lando
Old 02-09-2005, 11:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you do need to have the tank cycled before you add fish, and you need to check your water parimeters if you have not, but what you are describing is your fish resting. My clowns swim, and point straight down when the lights go out. Alot of fish will actually look dead or dying when they rest. After the lights first come on, they will need a sec to wake up and began to move around.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would also find an LFS that knows what its talking about. obviously if you explained the situation (even with the Clarkii clownfish which I believe too, was just resting) he/she wouldn't of told you it was swim bladder disease, and would have suggested a fishless cycle.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks everyone! I woke up this morning, and the little guy seemed to be doing just fine!

However, with my Clarkii, it was constantly swimming off balance, and it looked dead when i turned the light off. Maybe it WAS resting, i'm not sure.

As for my readings, I still need to invest in a testing kit, but i did have my levels tested at my LFS, and they said my levels were fine....
Old 02-09-2005, 12:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Levels can change in a matter of hours, and fish can die just as quick. If you can get a kit asap.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey, I just wanted to show you guys a picture of my Nano. Let me know what you think!

By the way, Lando, thanks for the warm welcome!!

here's the clown!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish_409.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	701   Click image for larger version

Name:	tannk.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	702  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com