Someone please calm my nerves about this!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 12 gallon Nano Cube in which i have just converted to Saltwater. The temperature in it right now is about 75-76 degrees. I started off with one Damsel to help with the cycling, but the Damsel wouldn't eat, and was too big. I took it back to the pet store and got a Clarkii Clownfish. When i got the clownfish home, i acclimated it, however it swan very crooked, and everytime I turned the light off, it floated to the top, and just kinda stayed there. I called the pet store and told them my problem, and the told me it was Swim Bladder Disease...so i returned it and exchanged it for an Ocellaris Clownfish. Which is the fish i currently have.

The Ocellaris started out fine, just kinda swimming in one spot at the corner of my tank. It was eating very well, and then it started acting weird. I have a magnetic algae scrubber on my tank, and the fish went under it and stayed there. Right now, the light is off, and he is swimming with his face pointint towards the bottom of the tank, and it looks like something is wrong. Has this happened to anyone else? Is something wrong with my Clown, or is this common????

Please help me, my luck so far has been terrible!!

What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph readings? If you are still cycling your tank, I would urge you to take the clown fish back and finish your cycle using a piece of raw shrimp.

Right now, the light is off, and he is swimming with his face pointint towards the bottom of the tank, and it looks like something is wrong.

Sounds like he is resting, I agree we need reading of your water and if you are still cycling you need to take the clown back. But the swimming face down in one spot while the lights are off is what I get from my clowns also.

I to, suggest you return the clown. Cycling with fish is outdated and pretty cruel to the fish. Get some LR and throw in a chunk of cockatail shrimp from the grocery store. take it slow and let things happen natually. Good luck and...
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Lando

Yes you do need to have the tank cycled before you add fish, and you need to check your water parimeters if you have not, but what you are describing is your fish resting. My clowns swim, and point straight down when the lights go out. Alot of fish will actually look dead or dying when they rest. After the lights first come on, they will need a sec to wake up and began to move around. :wink:

I would also find an LFS that knows what its talking about. obviously if you explained the situation (even with the Clarkii clownfish which I believe too, was just resting) he/she wouldn't of told you it was swim bladder disease, and would have suggested a fishless cycle.

Thanks everyone! I woke up this morning, and the little guy seemed to be doing just fine!

However, with my Clarkii, it was constantly swimming off balance, and it looked dead when i turned the light off. Maybe it WAS resting, i'm not sure.

As for my readings, I still need to invest in a testing kit, but i did have my levels tested at my LFS, and they said my levels were fine....

Levels can change in a matter of hours, and fish can die just as quick. If you can get a kit asap. :wink:

Hey, I just wanted to show you guys a picture of my Nano. Let me know what you think!

By the way, Lando, thanks for the warm welcome!!

tannk5li.jpg

here's the clown!

fish8ib.jpg

Attachments

• tannk.jpg
    tannk.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 139
  • fish_409.jpg
    fish_409.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 445
Thats why it tested fine. There were no measurable levels to read as the tank was not cycled. :roll: I dont roll my eyes at you for being new to the hobby, I roll my eyes at the fish store for telling you everything was fine, knowing that yourtank was less than a week old. I had the same problem the first time I set up a freshwater tank and didnt know any better. At least I knew enough to let them test my water....it tested fine of course. About a week after I added fish it sure didnt. Silly lfs'. It looks like your on the right track now...just get that tank cycled without fish if you can. Good luck!

Neat tank. Is that live rock, base rock, or a resin sculpture? I personally don't buy into the idea that live rock is mandatory for a tank. Not all benthic invertebrates are desirable (and some are just downright creepy).

After just a week, even if that is live rock and live sand in the tank, it is more than likely still cycling. I personally use a Red Sea Marine Lab master test kit. You can't do corals with it (And I have little desire to) but it is only $25 at Premium Aquatics

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Testkits

Most test kits are anywhere from 14 to 40 dollars at some places. Keep testing, because your small tank can get very bad very quickly. And always have a mix of saltwater ready for emergencies.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom