Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, I don't think they are considered plants or animals. They are corals and very few can survive without lighting (There are some non photosynthetic ones, hard to keep) there are many different types of corals too so research is the key, some like more light than other, some like more flow than others. Some need to be fed, some are considered expert only. You would definitely need flow...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

They're cnidarians. Closely related to jellyfish and sea anemones. So they're 100% animals...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, def animals. In my mind, if you can kill it and it eats and breathes then its animal. lol

Mushrooms are the lowest light needing corals that i can think of, maybe some xenia? But they still require water movement. They make very small powerheads that would work in a 5g......As well as tiny little hang on filters. I had both when I had my 4g pico running. Not expensive at all either, check out amazon.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. Would it be easier to keep them in a 10g or 5g? I heard small salt water tanks are hard to maintain.

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 08-28-2014, 11:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm still confused about coral.... Do they have roots to keep them in place? Can you house just one? I like how anemones sway a little bit (I don't want it to sting me though), are they any others that move a little but are harmless? They are sooo pretty but if I get one I'll probably kill it.

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 08-29-2014, 03:08 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

A 10g tank will be much much better than a 5g. Still really small and a bit more work than say a 20g tank. You could get 2 tiny fish, preferably gobies or blennies as they dont swim much.

Corals will be attached to ceramic plugs, called frags. You can get some corals with a skeleton, like brain corals that stay put at the bottom of the tank, on the sand due to their weight. Others can be removed from their frag plugs and glued to rockwork.

Look at LPS corals, like hammers and torches, they sway just like an anemone and are ALOT easier to keep. People always mistook my lps for anemones, they can look very similar. Alot will depend on the lighting too, as LPS corals will need more light than say mushrooms and zooanthids.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you keep a single mushroom? It looks like there's a lot of mushrooms In one clump in the pictures I've seen.

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 08-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I looked up hammer coral they are SO COOL! Now I want one!!!

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 08-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know it may be strange but I'd like to have just one coral to admire. Something like an anemone. So it's more like a pet coral rather than pet fish with coral.

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Old 08-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long do coral live? What exactly is involved for hammer coral?

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com