Somethings on the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Ok well, i didnt see a section for this so here it goes anyways.

On my GLASS tank, it seems that there is some buildup of something. I have no clue what. It sortof looks like the leftover of tape.. or maybe some lime. Anyways, i tried getting it off many ways.. scrubing it with a light sponge and then scrubing it with a tough sponge that wont damage the glass. To be honest.. it sucks. When its filled with water, all the spots really stick out. Not to mention, all the stains are in like straight-line trails around the tank. Its really only at the bottom, and like one or two lines at the top.. but its SO anoyying to see it when its filled with water. Is there any chemical i can use to get rid of it? Anything to get rid of it that wont harm the inhabitants of the tank when i start putting things in there. At the moment.. its just an empty tank. No water, sand or anything. Please help, im out of ideas for this one because i dont know if using something like "lime-away" will mess with any life in the tank when i begin to set it up.

Have you tried a razor blade? White vinegar/water works too.

Calcium deposits, they are difficult to get off. I did what roka is advising, it takes quite a bit of effort and change the blades frequently they get dull fast.

x3. Vinegar is amazingly effective IME. We even layed soaked paper towels over old coraline on our frag tank. After 5 minutes under the towel, it scrapes right off.

Alright cool. But even if the tank is brand new and hasnt been used there would still be calcium deposits?

That shouldn't be, if it's brand new you shouldn't have those deposits unless is residue from some sort of sticker that was affixed inside.

Im guessing thats what it was since it was there and the tank was brand new. but regardless, i used the white vinegar and the razors for the hard parts and BAM! Everything is long gone and the tank looks like it should have the first day i got it. Thanks once again guys. Appreciate it greatly.

Im guessing thats what it was since it was there and the tank was brand new. but regardless, i used the white vinegar and the razors for the hard parts and BAM! Everything is long gone and the tank looks like it should have the first day i got it. Thanks once again guys. Appreciate it greatly.
Cool, I'm happy everything worked out for you.

I know! It was pretty amazing!. I just soaked a paper towel in it, and then dropped the paper towel flat on the parts that were emssed up. Then like a minute later i could basically just wipe the crud off with another piece. Other parts i just used the razor because it was caked on. :/ I think i found out what all that junk was, it was leftover rubber cement that they messed up on. Thats why water and some scrubing wouldnt take it off. :)

Back
Top Bottom