Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2003, 11:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I found out what happened.. I got the tank so my wife got a new bathroom...Well unbenounst to me when the plumber (my wifes dad) was working on that he shut down the power for about 5 hours while I was at work to move a light and add a circut.. well needless to say Pittsburgh is cold... by the time I got home the temp was back up but he even said well the house was an icebox for most of the day..casue he also had all our doors open bringing in the new tubs toilet and such.. While this didnt have an instant impact it was the next day the tank got cloudy.. mind you it has been snowing here and the tank is by our front door right in the living room the showcase of the house if you will. I don't know why or how or really what happened but I am attributing the drastic temp change to my problem.. Today the tank is already starting to clear up at a rate that makes me feel happy in way I havent' in a long time..(literally when I came home you could make out the yellow stripe on the powerhead on the other side now 5hrs later I can see it clearly) I have to appologize to all of you especially steve-s and billyz who have helped me from "problem" to "problem" If I was you guys I would have written me off as a TOOL long ago and probably looked on me as the chicken who thought the sky was falling.. I am sorry.. What is happening with me and this tank is SOOOO far from my personality it is scary... I am in sales for a living and am the king of relax life of the party drink a beer it is not that bad..But this tank has utterly consumed me it just fascinates me in a way that I cannot understand the problem is because of that I worry like I never have about anything before (Thank God I dont' have kids) You guys have all been so cool about helping me through my dive into reefing I just wanna say thanks..The tank which just brought me from utter frustration to total fascination just tonight in how it was able to correct itself has just reminded me why I made the dive into it agian... It's just amazing I went to the bar with my buddies to relax it did the dirty work.. I know I may seem like I am alwyas jumping the gun trying to get the CA up early when I shouldn't be worring about it yet and all but that is just me.. I am competitive..I have to have the best tank.. I know that there is NO chance of it EVER (I see your galleries and am very envious) but I have to try hence me laying out $1400 dollars and still no fish Thanky you for putting up with me but I think the tank will fix itself this time and probably is better off without me Ohhhh by the way Steve and billyz somehow through all this the Ca is 400 and even the rock looks a little better, there is green where teh white was LOL what a totally frustrating and rewarding hobby I have started thank you all for your help sorry I am such a worry wart about this..

Doan

Old 12-17-2003, 11:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
I would have to agree with the latter two posts. Can you see actual particles floating/falling in the water or is it just milky? I am thinking possible bacterial bloom. ...waiting for more info.

R

Old 12-17-2003, 11:17 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Sounds more like a bacterial bloom to me. It will likely go away in a few days if that's what it is. Calcium precip looks like tiny snowflakes floating around in the tank. FWIW, I have found that the Kent Super dKH buffer along with Kent Turbo Calcium works quite well to correct cal/alk problems. You'll need test kits for both calcium and alk before using it or any other remedy though. I like the Kent Tech CB additives to maintain cal/alk levels. I don't have any tanks that are heavy calcium users though. If the bacterial bloom doesn't go away, assuming that's what it is, a UV sterilizer will take care of it. You might want to run some GAC as well for a little while.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:23 PM   #14

Are you running fine sand? My tank totally clouded up one day after my wife used love my carpet deoderizer. My tank looked liike milk. Have you done any house cleaning lately? Any chemicals used around the tank at all in the past few days? I would do some water changes and not add anything for a few weeks. The fresh saltwater will help replace whatever minerals are lost. Sit back and relax everything will be fine. you have'nt even hit the algae stage yet!
Old 12-17-2003, 11:29 PM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doan
have to appologize to all of you especially steve-s and billyz who have helped me from "problem" to "problem" If I was you guys I would have written me off as a TOOL long ago and probably looked on me as the chicken who thought the sky was falling.. I am sorry..
You have absolutely nothing to apologize for. We are all here to help and I am just glad you finally have some resolution to move forward and enjoy the tank now. FWIW, I do agree on the bacterial bloom but as said, it will go away on it's own. Keep tabs on the water quality as far as NH3, NO2 and such. If you get any bad readings they will be short lived and nothing to be concerned about.

Good Luck!!
Cheers
Steve
Old 12-18-2003, 02:47 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Gonna agree yet again with steve. I'm glad we could help and there's no reason to apologize. Most all of us have been right where you are and know how stressful and frightening it is the first time through.

that said...
Quote:
even the rock looks a little better, there is green where teh white was
Get ready for your first algae bloom, it's gonna happen, just let it happen )
Old 12-18-2003, 03:28 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My first thread on Aqualink a few years ago was well over 100 posts....with most of them from asking questions, silly questions (but not to me ), and repeating those silly questions. The hardest part of starting a tank IMO is not researching, purchasing, nor setting it up...it is that time right after where all your knowledge (and no experience!) has to come together. That's where you are at. Keep up the patience and things will start falling into place and making sense over the upcoming MONTHS (just so you don't think it should be this week ).

With the information provided, it is probably a bacterial bloom or maybe indeed some of the sand got kicked up when the power suddently came back on....no worries either way!
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 06:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I didn't see your previous post... so I'm a bit ignorant on the particulars.

But from what I've read here, it doesn't sound much like precipitation. You can usualy see bits of matter in the water column when calcium precipitates. Plus as mentioned above you get what looks like salt creep all over everything "inside" the water... sort of like the dead sea, but with calcium instead of salt.

unfortunately what it is is very difficult to say. The most likely culprit is a bacterial bloom. Were any of the additives chilled (or as cold as chilled for some reason)? It would indeed help to know how much you added.

p
Old 12-18-2003, 06:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Whoops...

Sorry, didn't realize there was a whole page more to this story when I posted. Glad to hear it worked itself out!!!

p
Old 12-18-2003, 08:29 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

No worries pork.. But thank you for trying to help although yes I do the calcium in the fridge with the reef complete.. The reef complete said to refridgerate after opening and so I also threw the calcium in there... Is that bad??

Thanks again

Doan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com