Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2003, 03:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry about this..but I need yet more advice

After you guys told me to chill out yesterday I decided I would do just that. I bought some beer rented a few movies and was gonna just let the tank rock out and do it's own thing as per you guys.. Well I open my door and OMG the tank is soup.. Literraly if you look from one side to the other you can see almost half way.. It is so cloudy and white my crab is going nuts running from one end to the other (he had never done that before) and it Is so bad I can just barley see the heater light in the back when looking in the front.. I am not gonna panic in fact I am getting very frustrated with this whole thing.. It has been one mess after another.. But what can I do about this.. Thank God again I listened to you guys and didnt' buy fish...The water is just white if you sit in front of it and look up to the light you can see that there is a film on the top of the water cause you can see a tiny break in it where the water hits it from the filter.. I did a 10% waterchange I only had 5 gallons of RO on hand.. What can I should I do?? I can't just leave it like that can I It looks real bad..should I change the water more should I put in something that will clear it if so what.. If I can get this cleared up I promise not to touch it for a few weeks.. I need break and I am really frustrtated as I said before..But I have to address this problem any suggestions would be great..

Thank you

Doan

Old 12-17-2003, 03:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

first thing you need to learn in this hobby is patience=good reef. You cant hurry a reef tank and its best to just keep an eye on it and monitor whats going on but dont panic when things get a little off. Im guessing your tank is cloudy from substrate since i didnt know your last post. What are you exactly tryin to do?

Old 12-17-2003, 03:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

No I was trying to bring up the calcium so I could save my LR and get a cleaner shrimp.. I dunno It just seems to have gone horriably wrong.. The tank has cycled and was doing ok other than a little live rock bleaching.. The great people in here told me not to sweat it and just let it kinda go and it will be ok which is what I had decided to do .. I added some calcium from red sea and some seachem reef plus and some sea chem reef advantage B..But that was like 2 days ago I put that stuff in and last night I came home to the soup..

Doan
Old 12-17-2003, 04:16 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

hmm... I don't dose calc etc all that much so wait till you hear something from others that does those chemicals more often. But my guess would be that those chemicals have finaly dispersed through the tank and you're starting to get precipitated Calcium. does the water look literaly cloudy, or if you concentrate real hard and look real close do you see actualy small white flecks floating around?

While we wait for some others, test your water for us so we know what we're working with. I would imagine a Ph, Calc, Alk and SG would be helpful for them.

Hang in there mun, we'll get you through
Old 12-17-2003, 04:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

No I stared real close till I had a headache it is a solid grey.. the ph is 8 ammonia is o nitrate o nitrite 0 cal still at 300 which is the problem I was having.. LoL the harder i try the more the tank laughs at me lets see ohh uhhh sg 1.023 and I don't have an alk test I will try and get one soon though..

Thanks for being so patient with me guys

doan
Old 12-17-2003, 05:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

sounds like your calc precipitated. id do some water changes if thats the case, you might see white crusty stuff on your heater if it has precipitated. Youve basically turned the calcium into an unusable form (calcium carbonate) and its fallen out into a solid form. Funny thing about calc is that it wont overdose like other additives it will just harden up. You wana keep your alk/ph high and the ca levels will stablize when all other levels are stable also.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

What would you guys think of like a 20% water change then turning off everything for like 2 days filter powerheads and all and just letting it settle? I am thinking that hopefully the "gooK" will kinda settle to the bottom of the tank. What do you guys think??"

doan
Old 12-17-2003, 06:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

im dealing with high calc right too. I did some water changes and its better now. I would definitely not add ANY calc at all for a while until its not cloudy in there anymore. As far as shutting off the tank i dont think you need to do that. Just water change then test. Also dont change your water out with new salt because a lot of salts have calc added in and youre putting calc right back in the tank. Do about 50% mix / 50% freshwater changes.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If it is precipitation, you should find a white crust on the heater, powerheads, etc. as mentioned....is this happening? If not, perhaps something has been disrupted in your tank and caused a large bacterial bloom.

How much of the products did you add?
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:15 PM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsGuru
How much of the products did you add?
And what kind?

From your previous posts, I am highly doubtful this is from precipitation unless you added a generous dose of CaCl or kalk. Unless so, there is no way the Ca can fall out of solution at 300 ppm. Also, kalk additions will not cause "future" precip events, it would be evident very quickly or as the kalk was being dosed. If added as a slurry, the kalk could cause a nucleate precipitation from the addition of lime solids... In any event, something would need be added for this to happen and not days later.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com