Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sort of new

Hey everyone new to the site and have an empty 55gallon aquarium i want to put to use again. I have the stand and aquarium but would need the rest of supplies and test kits again. Anyways, it was previously a freshwater tank long ago and i was thinking of doing a saltwater tank this time. However it will probably be another month before I even start it as I'm very analytical and will have to convince myself I'm ready to start again through ridiculous amounts of research.
Always had a passion for all things underwater (I should have got my degree in oceanography not business ....) and kept my freshwater tank going for what seemed like forever. Now that I finally have the time and schedule to look after another tank was thinking of doing a saltwater.
My concerns are having never done a saltwater before it sounds much more complicated to get started and maintain than a freshwater. This could be my imagination as I've never done it before but was wondering if there is anything in particular I should be aware of venturing into this new world...

disguised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello. SW is pretty fun and easy to maintain. Initial cost will be very high. Monthly cost will also be slightly higher compared to FW tanks.

Since you have a passion for under water stuff, then the learning process will be less difficult. I suggest you learn about EVERYTHING and pick out the parts you would like in your own system.

Kind Regards,
Terrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I too have always had a passion for "all things underwater" but I've always been more of a fan of the saltwater variety.
In my opinion, Marine fish are much more sensative to water/living conditions than freshwater fish however their variety and appearence certainly make up for the extra work you'll need to put in. Over the years, I've set-up and maintained a number of saltwater tanks all with varied levels of success. That's one reason I still consider myself a beginner.
I find that I do a ton of research upfront and I'm not one to skimp on supplies/equipment but I've always fallen behind on the maintenance necessary to keep a marine aquarium running successfully for an extended period of time.
I'm currently in the process of setting up a 92G corner tank I bought about 6 years ago. I had it running for about 4 years before things started to go downhill.
This time I purchased a RO/DI unit so I could make my own water which should help me stay up on the required bi-weekly or monthly partial water changes. I found out long ago that most tap water just doesn't cut it with marine fish and having to rely on transporting RO/DI water from my LFS turned out to be to much work for me.
All I can say is take your time, do your research and save your money because you'll need it.
Ronlezah is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com