Sources for nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cd5

Aquarium Advice Activist
My question is I am trying to shrink my nitrates
First I want to make sure I understand where they come from
The potential sources for nitrate comes from the fish food for the tank, any dead die fish produce the food that results in nitrate and the nitrate found in the water that is added to the tank

Are they any more sources I need to be aware of?

I am not trying to sound dumb, I understand the whole cycle and how everything works, This site has taught me ALOT about aquarium and my tanks are both flourishing great, I am just trying to reclarify this

Your stock produces nh3 (from waste) which converts to no3 so even if you didn't add any food or have any fish die no3 still accumulates constantly.

Left over food that your stock doesn't eat is also an nh3 source which converts to no3. That's why it's critical to only feed what they will consume within one to two minutes.

Your water can be a source of direct no3 as well if it's present in your tap or where ever you get your water from. If you do have no3 is your water supply you can get an RO/DI filter to remove it.

Weekly pwc are important both to remove waste like no3 but also to keep your other parameters balanced.

Also it's important to clean filters weekly so waste that your stock does miss doesn't have a chance to break down and turn into no3.

Back
Top Bottom