Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2003, 03:44 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Check back on this thread for the info you need. Be aware that the use the same sku for differant sand. Try and find the upc code for Southdown or have them look at the actual bag and make sure it matches the bags on this thread Good luck

Old 07-18-2003, 08:49 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
What exactly is Southdown sand is it like a sand box sand? You can actually buy SD sand from HD? That rocks ill have to check into that for when i setup a 150gal.

Old 07-18-2003, 09:05 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

yes, southdown sand is caribean sand sold for kid's sand boxes. It just happens to have the exact same make up of aquarium argonite sand (cause both companies get it from the exact same place) it just happens to cost a lot LESS than the aquarium branded sand.

Note that when shopping for this sand you can find it as either "Southdown" sand or "Oldcastle stone products Caribean play sand" they are the same thing (southdown recently changed it's name to oldcastle)
Old 07-19-2003, 02:14 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Awesome ill remember that for sure and save myself some $$ by introducing LS does the SD become active? Just curious...
Old 07-19-2003, 06:10 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
Home Depots sku # for southdown tropical play sand is 578-819, it is sold Arizona, Colorado, Alabama, Kansas, Missouri, and Illinois. If you do not live in these states then your local Home Depot is supposed to do a store transfer from a store that contains the sand. It will probably cost a little more, but the overall price is still less than that in the pet store. Good Luck!
Old 07-28-2003, 04:48 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
My local HD could not find any of the sand in Missouri eventhough the buyer in Atlanta said they sold it there. He found some in Pennsylvania that he ordered for me. Came up to about 11-12 dollars a 50# bag with shipping included. Not too bad a price in my opinion. As soon as I get the store info I will pass it on.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com