Specific gravity and Inverts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanicsublimat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read that starfish should not be kept under a specific gravity of 1.024..is this right? and if so, how should I raise it? I am still cycling and my coralife deep six reads that I'm 1.021..but I know that's probably wrong, are u supposed to add 2 or more to the value to compensate for water temperature, making my actual sg 1.023? My water temp is about 80*. I gave some of my water to the lfs and they told me that my SG was high, don't know what the reading was there.. but that was after I added the dr, the water got a little stirred up so that made all my readings a little high I guess.. the lfs was using the instant ocean swing arm tester... I want to order more lr in a few days and I want everything on it to live(except the undesireables of course) will this be a problem for the life on the rock?

If you are serious about this hobby a swing arm is VERY inaccurate a refractometer would be much more precise and give you much less of a headach in the long run. As far as starfish I have my tank at 1.025 and have never had a starfish die on me.

I want to raise my sg to about 1.024 so that I can accomodate starfishes as well as other species of fish and inverts..any suggestions? I just mixed up a batch of saltwater at 1.021 temp unknown(cold):) was gonna let it sit till I needed it.. I guess I'm gonna get another brand of swing arm sg meter to test against mine before I do anything.. I may buy a refractometer later..

If you want to raise your SG, the most important thing to do is raise it slowly. Keep some aged SW on hand and us this for top-offs instead of FW. Your SG will climb slowly over time. Keep a close eye on it so it does not get too high.

Back
Top Bottom