Specific Gravity question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I owned the plastic arm hydrometer which has been reading sg of 1.023 - - I just got a refractometer today. It is giving me a reading of 1.029!!!! Oooof! If my hydrometer was really that far off, would things survive? Maybe this might explain the disappearance of 2 peppermint shrimp.

Anyway, I tested ro/di water and it did read at 0, so I'm assuming the refracto is correct.

I guess my question is - how dangerous is 1.029? I'll be lowering it slowly over the next couple days. Oh, and would high sg promote hair algae growth?

- Skins

The .006 differece isnt really that big of a deal. Expecially since most of your inhabitants have been living at that SG for most likly quite some time. What is more of a problem is wild changes in salinity. If the salinity was changing that much daily than thats a different story. Our inhabitants will adjust to very high salinities I have heard of some living in SW as high as 1.040. This is usually a very high extreme thts the result of substantal evaporation with our replacment water being added.

Actually the hazard to inverts would be too low of a salanity. You'll want to test the accuracy with distilled not RO/DI.

KG

Back
Top Bottom