Specific Gravity Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im one step closer to turning my FOWLR into a reef tank because I installed my new lighting tonight. The next thing I need to do is fix the specific gravity. I am getting a reading of 1.022. The problem is I buy the natural sea water from catalina island, ca from my LFS. When I first started the hobby the water I was getting was 1.024 but now everything has been 1.022. Maybe its been raining out there, I don't know. I do know this is a sign I should start mixing my own. But for now my plan is to top off the evaporated water with more saltwater, until I can get it up to at least 1.023. Does that sound reasonable to do that? Also, is it very bad to keep coral at 1.022? I will probably start off with LPS but eventually get a couple SPS too. Thanks again.

I have never heard of anyone using actual sea water. Thats kinda cool that you can do that.

my plan is to top off the evaporated water with more saltwater, until I can get it up to at least 1.023. Does that sound reasonable to do that?

Yes, that will work fine. For future reference, and if it ever applies, don't change your salinity level more than a point per day (e.g, 1.022 to 1.023). Sounds like you'll be fine.

Curious. How do the calcium and other readings come out with the natural sea water you've gotten?

If the salinity is lower due to the rain, I would think they are not going that far out to get the water. This might mean you could be adding pollutants into your tank. I believe the best distance is 1-5 miles from the shore to get the best results (I could be a little off on the distance, since it has been a while since this question has been posed).

Personally, I'd get your salinity up to where you want it and keep it there before you add any corals. Corals want a higher SG than 1.022. Most likely you wouldn't have any real problems bringing the salinity up with corals in the tank, as long as you did it SLOWLY. But why not just get it right to start with before putting them in. Remember... patience!

ryshark said:
But for now my plan is to top off the evaporated water with more saltwater, until I can get it up to at least 1.023. Does that sound reasonable to do that? Also, is it very bad to keep coral at 1.022? I will probably start off with LPS but eventually get a couple SPS too. Thanks again.

There is nothing wrong with 1.022. Fish and corals will do fine. If you do run it higher you can slowly do it by adding SW for top off water but you want to do it slowly.

Off the top of my head I recall The Catalina Company processes the water once collected and provides many professional institutions along with lfs'. Natural seawater salinity is about 35ppt on average.

I ordered my Calcium, DKH and Phospate kits online a couple days ago so for the first time today I am able to test those readings. The natural seawater/Catalina which I buy from the LFS tests: Calcium=430, DKH=10 and Phosphate=0. I wasn't sure about the rain thing, I just made that up in question, it actually hasn't rained in SoCal in a long time. I wouldn't know if it rained at Catalina Island though. The LFS that sell Catalina water say its great the LFS that don't sell it say that they pump it in from Long Beach Harbor. So who knows, next time I go to the LFS I will see if I can get the company name and see if they have a website. By the way I found a LFS that charges .49 cents a gallon for this saltwater, in case anybody was wondering.
Melosu58, thats reassuring to hear that 1.022 would be ok. I will still probably see if I can get it to be 1.023 slowly, like Kurt said. I'll find out if I can do it over the next week or so. If not I won't be too concerned. I really like your reef tank, thats kind of what I'm shooting for.
Thanks for the input everybody.

From the aquacraft (of the infamous S-15™ Report™) website:
"Different oceans have slightly different specific gravities. The tropical Indo-Pacific has an average specific gravity of 1.022 - 1.025. The Caribbean has an average specific gravity of 1.023 - 1.026. The Red Sea has an average specific gravity of 1.028 - 1.035. The specific gravity changes in each area are due largely to rain fall."

Fish will generally do better at a slightly (1.018-1.020) SG while most corals prefer 1.022 - 1.026

As I mentioned above it is .49cents per gallon at one of my LFS. From the LFS you buy it in bulk and they just fill up your water jugs you bring in. Of course PetCo is going to mark up their 5-gallon cardboard box full of water.

Ry, I would make sure to add a ph to a bucket, to get the pH up to your tank's just to help relieve stress, depending on how much of a PWC you will be doing. Also, keep in mind, the FW will evaporate and not the salt so top off your tank with new FW otherwise your salinity will increase. When you do your PWCs, use the Catilina water.

Just be careful when adding livestock from a tank that is at 1.025. You might need to acclimate a bit longer.

I agree with Ellisz...if you are adding things from a tank that has a much higher SG you will want to take extra time and care in acclimating them to your lower SG.

I keep my tank at 1.024 and things are looking good!

Back
Top Bottom