Spider Web looking stuff on top of Live Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tigger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi.... We have noticed in the last few days, spider web looking stuff/slime on top of the LS. Any idea as to what it is?

Thanks,

Natalie

If it's bluish or dark grey it may be Cyano bacteria ! It is not an algea but a bacteria . Get a siphon and suck it out . Usually caused by not enough movement in water and over feeding ! It will not harm life in the tank but it's a ral nuisance ! research cyano and I'm sure you'll find a lot if info on it !

As Michel said it sounds like Cyano. Does it come off in sheets? Usually this stuff covers the surface of your rock or substrate and its a very thin sheet in apperance. Often air gets trapped undeth and causes it to bubble up.

If your tank is still cycling then this will proably start to fade as the amount of nutrients in your tank fade away. The eaiset thing to do is to syphon this out of your system with a small hose when you do water changes or if you have alot do a quick cleaning between water changes.

This stuff is white in color. We will use a siphon to get is out of there. It looks like parts of the tank are ready for Halloween!

Thanks,

Natalie

Ok... I will try to take a picture. I must warn you that our digital camera is not very good. It was a gift... most likely a prize out of a cracker jack box. :)

Ok... I will try to take a picture. I must warn you that our digital camera is not very good. It was a gift... most likely a prize out of a cracker jack box. :)

Back
Top Bottom