Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2002, 10:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

I see that I started a big mess here!

Well its been 4 days and my water is getting pretty good. I can actually see through it. I added 7lbs of LS. I will probably add some more. How do I know if there is anything living in it? Are you supposed to see critters? They water the gave me was very dirty. I drained it from the bag before I put it in the tank.

Also what are good inverts. to buy to clean the sand. Right now I have about 7 hermit crabs. The seem to like this sand already. Can I buy A starfish?

What is a good anemone for a percula and a sebae clownfish. I don't want to get another sebae. I didn't know they were hard to take care of. I lost this one when it was in the cooler. I have a condy right now and it is doing great, but I want to have somthing that my fish can host.

Old 12-20-2002, 10:55 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
I added 7lbs of LS. I will probably add some more. How do I know if there is anything living in it? Are you supposed to see critters?
You don't need to add anymore LS. Good quality LR will contain a lot of critters that will migrate to the sand in a few weeks. Whether there were critters in your purchased LS depends. If it came from an established tank it probably does. You will begin to see worm trails in a week or two. You should begin to see gas bubbles against the glass in a few more weeks.

Quote:
Also what are good inverts. to buy to clean the sand. Right now I have about 7 hermit crabs. The seem to like this sand already. Can I buy A starfish?
None. You don't want inverts who "clean the sand". By cleaning the sand they are consuming (eating) your sand infauna. A few stars will be OK, most are not. The presence of detrivores will be enough to keep your DSB "clean" and functioning.

Quote:
What is a good anemone for a percula and a sebae clownfish. I don't want to get another sebae. I didn't know they were hard to take care of. I lost this one when it was in the cooler. I have a condy right now and it is doing great, but I want to have somthing that my fish can host.
I can't recommend any anemone from the ocean. They simply live too long in the wild only to have then die a short time after being removed from the ocean. Upwards of 90% don't last longer than 3 months in the aquarium. If you must have one, buy a tank raised (cloned) Entacmaea quadricolor (Bubble tip). A better alternative is to try some frogspawn or a large hairy mushroom to host a clown fish (the anemone hosts the clown, the clown does not host the anemone). These are easily tank raised and so having one doesn't impact the world's reefs. Anemones are notoriously difficult to keep, Mushrooms and corals will grow and even multiply in a reef tank.

Source for tank raised bubble tips: http://www.drmaccorals.com/sys-tmpl/anemones/

Mark

Old 12-20-2002, 12:10 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
anemones

Skip,
It's best to wait until your tank is well established to add an anemone. I would think a year anyway before adding one. I agree with Mark 100% about taking anemones from the ocean. Go with a tank raised variety. Embarrassed to say that I don't remember what kind of lighting system you have , but most anemones are photosynthetic and have very high light requirements.
Logan J
Old 12-20-2002, 12:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

To echo what others have said, your clown doesn't need an anemone at all. Aside from what has already been suggested, you can also try a featherduster....yes, that's right a featherduster. One of the large ones. My clown has been hosting in it for a couple of months now, and there seems to be no harm to the duster at all. I also have a domino in another tank that is hosting in a duster in there. I've also read of others having the same experience.

I would suggest though, that you wait until your tank is cycled before adding a featherduster.

How much of a difference did you find in your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels? I'm curious what kind of impact this change had on your tank since it was still in the cycling stage when you started out.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I will be checking my levels tonight. Its only been 4 days with the new sand. I will post my results this weekend.

How will I know if my tank is cycled?
Old 12-20-2002, 03:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Your tank is cycled when ammonia and nitrite read 0. Nitrates can vary with the bio-load in the tank, but generally should be at or below 20.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

My PH is 8.3, Ammonia 0, Nitrate 80, Nitrite 5.0.

Does LR help Nitrite?
Old 12-20-2002, 05:24 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
skip, what is your lighting setup?
Old 12-20-2002, 06:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have bought 2 18" 20,000k coralife bulbs.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:02 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
If they are normal output flouresents, I am sorry to say that you dont have enough lighting for anenomes. The condylactis might be ok. I would venture to say with the problems youve had lately that you might want to wait a month or so to let everything stabalize. I know its hard to wait, but nothing good comes from being in a hurry adding livestock in a saltwater tank. You have to be patient, as painful as it may seem, you will have much less heart ache in the long run. You will save money, and save your fishes lives.

Tags
dsb, split

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com