Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
How large of a clean up crew do you have in there? It is a possibility that its to large and some of them are starving? Do you notice a lot of algae and such for them to eat on the rocks or is it mostly clean? Although crabs will eat just about anything i doubt they are starving. They should be able to grab left over food and things to keep feed.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to Vanphyre Send a message via AIM to Vanphyre
Yea, good suggestion but I have 2 crabs and 4 snails left. Never had too many at once in the tank. Even my Nassarius snails would get killed. They have their tentacles stick up out of the sandbed to be alert for Food.... well I looked one day and half of them had their tentacles severed off. LOL. Then a week later they were all dead and no trace of them or their shells....

Either it's the Goby or I have some kind of stealth killer hiding that I never put in the tank....

Gets expensive to keep putting more clean up guys in to find them all missing a week later. :/

2 Maxi-Jet 1200's
RO/DI Water Changes 10% a week
Vanphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah clean up crew can add up fast if you have to keep replacing them. I would guess its a stealth killer long before the goby. You have all the signs of a mean crab or possibly a mantis shrimp. Keep an eye out for something like that. Like others have suggested you can try to bait them out with some food as well.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
As I stated to you in our PM I really highly doubt it's killing your Clean up Crew. Watchman Gobies required Loose LR rubble or any rubble they use to build there homes. Whats probably happening is he's building his Burrow with your clean up crew thinking he can use them for rubble? Him and his little buddy are jamming them underneath your LR making them stuck and can't move which is causing them to disappear and Die. Like I said you probably want to check underneath one or to of there burrows and see what's underneath.... I might be wrong but it sounds like thats what's happening....

Check out this link about Watchman Goby
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks a lot guys. I'm gonna do some more scouting here for the next week or two and see what turns up. Gonna try the trap as well and see what I catch.

Thanks for the link Frankie. I wish my Goby hung out outside the burrow. He is always inside hiding which sucks cause we don't get to enjoy him being in the tank. Won't even come out for Food unless I hide after putting the food in.
2 Maxi-Jet 1200's
Old 12-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Any luck finding out about your missing clean up crew?
Old 12-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey Tank, nothing yet. Thanks for checking in!

I tried quite a few middle of the night tank checks and never saw anything. Tried a trap two nights, and caught absolutely nothing. :/ Getting frustrated. Think I'm going to pull up the rocks and take a look. Gonna suck messing up my arrangement but something has to get done.

If I don't see anything at all, going to net that Goby while the rocks are out. I never see him anyways, so might as well exchange him for some new cleanup guys. lol
2 Maxi-Jet 1200's
Old 12-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with Tank. I'm thinking also that your cuc is getting jammed into support columns and etc by the goby and shrimp.

You saw him carry one into a hole. You see shells at the tunnel entrance. One plus one equals two IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanphyre View Post
Thanks a lot guys. I'm gonna do some more scouting here for the next week or two and see what turns up. Gonna try the trap as well and see what I catch.

Thanks for the link Frankie. I wish my Goby hung out outside the burrow. He is always inside hiding which sucks cause we don't get to enjoy him being in the tank. Won't even come out for Food unless I hide after putting the food in.
Cool... Well hopefully everything turns out ok... Hey by the way what kind of Pistol Shrimp is that?
Old 12-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your trying to pull apart your rocks to find a crab it will do you no good. they will pull back into a small hole or something and you could be holding the rock in your hand and looking it over and never see a thing.

Tags
clean, cleaning, goby, spec

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com