Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to Vanphyre Send a message via AIM to Vanphyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank2379 View Post
Cool... Well hopefully everything turns out ok... Hey by the way what kind of Pistol Shrimp is that?
It's called a Tiger Pistol Shrimp. He is really sweet looking. I wonder if I got a different Goby if he would pair with him.... or should I just turn my Goby and Shrimp in and be done with this combo.

2 Maxi-Jet 1200's
RO/DI Water Changes 10% a week
Vanphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm just a newb myself, but I own a Watchman Goby and he ever attcked my snails or hermits. In fact, my hermits got quite large before dying off (starvation?). I just don't see how a goby could successfully extracate a crab from his shell, even a snail.

My thought is you have a predator in your tank that hitch-hiked on a LR...a mantis? If so, I think you have to be extremely careful when you reach into the tank. they can crack your fingernail real good or pierce your skin to the bone! Approach the problem with caution so you don't get injured.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanphyre View Post
It's called a Tiger Pistol Shrimp. He is really sweet looking. I wonder if I got a different Goby if he would pair with him.... or should I just turn my Goby and Shrimp in and be done with this combo.
Nice! I have the exact same Goby you have and I want to pair him up with a Pistol Shrimp so Hopefully I'll get lucky and find a Tiger one like yours.... But with your Pistol and Goby combo. I would still consider giving them a second chance I would even recommend re-scaping there surrounding areas just to give them a restart or new Habitant.. JMO... Good Luck Bud.
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to Vanphyre Send a message via AIM to Vanphyre
Tomorrow will be the day of decisions. I caught the Goby with my 20oz bottle trap I made. Wish I would have caught a hidden predator instead, but oh well. Going to sleep on it, and maybe turn him in tomorrow to the fish store. He is secure in a smaller secondary holding tank.

He is a beautiful fish for sure. I never see him though, he only pops his head out once in awhile from under the rocks so might be worth trading in anyways. I have read about people's Goby's hanging out perched on rocks and stuff, wish mine was like that so we could see him more.
2 Maxi-Jet 1200's
RO/DI Water Changes 10% a week
Vanphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:07 AM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Clown or neon gobies will perch on rocks and glass, not under the rocks like shrimp gobies. Maybe that's what you're thinking about.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

are you sure its not your crabs eating eachother and snails as they do this for dominance we have kept gobies for years and its always the crabs that eat each other we have only 6 out of 30 hermits we need to keep replacing them it sounds strange that a gobie could even kill a crab or a snail out of all our hermits its always the same six that survive. dont judge your gobie too quick they are soft and very shy fish they dont have the power or teeth to get into a hermit shell
Old 12-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanphyre View Post
Tomorrow will be the day of decisions. I caught the Goby with my 20oz bottle trap I made. Wish I would have caught a hidden predator instead, but oh well. Going to sleep on it, and maybe turn him in tomorrow to the fish store. He is secure in a smaller secondary holding tank.

He is a beautiful fish for sure. I never see him though, he only pops his head out once in awhile from under the rocks so might be worth trading in anyways. I have read about people's Goby's hanging out perched on rocks and stuff, wish mine was like that so we could see him more.
What was the final determination?

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, cleaning, goby, spec

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com